Writing Workshop specifics

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Ambrosegirl84, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Sep 20, 2011

Hi,
    I have a second grader (one of three grades, country school), and have a few writing workshop questions.

First of all, what kind of paper is best to use? I've read that you're supposed to use blank paper to "let them express themselves," but it ends up being sooooo messy and squished that neither one of us can begin to read what she wrote. I want to let her be free to write without getting so messy that she can't read it.

Another question: she gets really good ideas for stories, writes the outline, and when it comes time to draft it's like 1/2 page long, 5 minutes and "I'M DONE!" Lots of potential, but she doesn't flesh anything out.

She has high ability but just plain hates to do any sort of "work." Do I work with her to "flesh out" and revise extensively into the story she is capable of doing, (and seems to have in her head but is too lazy to write down) or do I just let her churn out story after story without putting any effort or time into it?

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2011

I'll let those with more experience in writer's workshop tackle some of these, but maybe you could work on building her writing stamina. Do five minutes, then challenge her the next day to work for 6, and so on. That might help there.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 20, 2011

In kinder, I start out with blank paper as we talk about illustrations and labeling. When we get more into making sentences and attending to the left to right notion, I switch to simple lined paper. It works fine.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2011

My second graders collected entries in marble composition writers notebooks before drafting. You need to do some teaching into selecting a good seed idea, nurturing the idea and revising...also work on building up stamina....put a star further down the page than she usually writes and set the expectation that is the point to which she will write....setting a timer could also help.

6. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Sep 21, 2011

Marble composition! Okay! There are just so many kinds of lined notebooks that I wasn't sure what is okay for 2nd grade. Right now she's using a college ruled one just because that's what I had lying around, but I know she needs something wider--but the wider-ruled handwriting sheets don't seem to have much room to write. I'll look through and see what else I can find.

Maybe I will do like last year and cut her draft into sections and have her elaborate on each section, so she can "unlock" what is in her mind with the story. I just didn't want to beat a dead horse, if you're "supposed" to let them churn out stories and progress to revising naturally.