Writing Workshop Activities

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by brit2187, Oct 18, 2011.

1. brit2187

brit2187 Rookie

Oct 18, 2011

Hello all!

this afternoon, my two teammates decided to do a writer's workshop tomorrow. They have both done this before but, since I am a new teacher, I am not sure what to do with my portion of the workshop. Students in our three classes are going to rotate through each class for 30 minute segments. During that time, we are going to present a mini-lesson about a writing skill and do some sort of activity. For example, one of my partners is doing a mini-lesson on idioms and then having students draw, color, and label their favorite idiom on white printer paper. The other is doing an editing activity where they are given a short story with lots of errors to fix.

I considered worn-out words or some other figurative language activity...? I need something fairly simple that doesn't take many materials since this is happening tomorrow! TIA

3. HollaPino

HollaPino Rookie

Oct 19, 2011

Zoom! Bang!

You could do a quick activity on onomatopoeia. Divide students into groups and have them come up with one example. Use their words as you incorporate it into a model story. Then, once they hear your story they can create their own stories where each group member comes up with one sound and a sentence to go with it. It helps that they write down their story for a better retell. I did it this week and they seem to pick up on the skill. Good luck.

4. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Oct 19, 2011

You might model revision where you add detail to the story. Write a simple story and then read it over and have the children come up with adjectives and adverbs which add to the story.