writing words out using phonic symbols?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by sjcgirl07, Mar 1, 2010.

1. sjcgirl07

sjcgirl07 Companion

Mar 1, 2010

For one of my assignments for my graduate school course in reading intervention, i am given a list of words and i am to write them in phonic symbols. Does anyone have any idea how to do this?

3. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Mar 1, 2010

Oh dear god! Linguistics 201 haunts me! Did you not have to take linguistics? The phonetic alphabet is the weird symbols you see in the disctionary just past the word. I find it incredibly difficult to translate to the phonetic. Hope you can find someone to help you more than this. You can probably get a list of the symbols off the internet if you run a search. Do each word out loud sound by sound and find the corresponding smbols. ie: Flower = f + ul + ow+ ur (those are the sounds, don't remember the symbols.) Good luck!

4. sjcgirl07

sjcgirl07 Companion

Mar 1, 2010

no. not the phonetic symbols it specifically says in my work (Divide each of the following words into phonemes. Use the PHONIC SYMBOL (not the
    phonetic symbol) to represent each sound.)
    I never had to take lunguistics before. But still..not sure.

5. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Mar 1, 2010

like the - (bar) over the vowel to indicate the long sound? Can't find the key code on the computer to show an example but imagine a long bar over the "o" in over.

6. sjcgirl07

sjcgirl07 Companion

Mar 1, 2010

yeah like the o with the dash over it in the word vote or boat, just like that. But i have to write in phonic symbols for that and for the consonants. Is that even done in schools

7. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Mar 2, 2010

Schools sometimes show them when practicing sounds and the children have to say the sound (like flash cards).

Google list of phonemes. You should be able to find a list and see about 40 some phonemes.

8. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Mar 2, 2010

We used Reading Mastery last year and it was written phonetically. Very confusing to the kids at first. But it did help my ESL kiddos.