Writing without a curriculum

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by godawgs, Aug 12, 2008.

1. godawgs

godawgs New Member

Aug 12, 2008

Hi everyone. My system doesn't have a writing curriculum.. Any guidelines you would suggest using?

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 13, 2008

I'm still trying to work this out, so take this for what it's worth. I usually try to start the year with a review of sentences, types (declarative, imperative, etc.) and structures. Brief overview on parts of speech. Then paragraph writing, main idea with supporting details. I really try to feel out where the group is during the first month of school. Everything you do after depends on their abilities early on. I've had groups that were ready to tackle longer writing pieces early on (mid-Sept/early Oct.) and groups that needed more practice. At the end of the year I had some who could write nice stories and essays, and I had some who struggled with composing a solid paragraph with all the necessary components. It really depends on the group's abilities. Writing project ideas: narative story (I do a Halloween one), narative with dialogue, letter writing both friendly and business (I had them write to celebrities one year), research papers, poetry unit, DARE essay, persuasive essays. One project I don't use every year (only when I think the group is higher) is have them each write a personification of a different quality such as fear, honesty, joy, anger, and so on. Then they design masks for their quality.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 13, 2008

I start the year the same way as runsw/scissors. We use Writers' Workshop, so the first few days are spent on going over what a typical class will look like for us (minilesson, independent time, share time) and how to use their writers' notebooks. After that we go on to types of sentences/punctuation and paragraph writing. Here is what the curriculum map I designed looks like:

August: What is Writers' Workshop
    September: Writing a Good Paragraph
    October: Research Paper (cross curricular project with SS)
    November: Formal/Friendly Letters (two weeks) Procedural "How-To" Paragraphs (two weeks)
    December: Personal Narratives
    January: Realistic Fiction
    February: Test-taking strategies/open responses
    March: Research paper (revisited)
    April: Poetry
    May/June: Dramatic Literature

We get a lot done throughout the year. My students have a lot more time dedicated to writing than most, though. We're in the middle school and Writers' Workshop is a separate class for them, so they have 55 mins of writing everyday.

5. momof6

momof6 Rookie

Aug 15, 2008