writing units

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by 2nd grade teach, Jan 20, 2007.

1. 2nd grade teach

2nd grade teach Rookie

Jan 20, 2007

Does anyone have any good units for writing? I teach 2nd grade, and was hoping to do letter writing, or expository writing. Any ideas?

3. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jan 21, 2007

I do a whole letter writing unit as well. Use Dear Mr. Larue, the kids LOVE the book and it really models letter writing well.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 21, 2007

Why not write for purpose.

*Have an author's party.
    *Write a class book, include title and dedication pages, index, etc.
    *Do a research project on Animals. Make a poster and research paper then take a field trip to celebrate.
    *How to make a Peanut Butter Sandwhich is always fun.
    *Write about what they know about Black History and how they feel people should behave towards each other. Read a story first.
    *Do a short book report. Model what should be included.
    *Do a persuasive paper about something that matters to them (ie, Last year the students wrote to convince SnowBall (rabbit) to come back to class instead of staying home...long story).
    *Write V-Day Cards including Poetry for a Nursing Home (other poster's idea).
    *Read a short story. Have them write a continuation to that story.
    *Write a persuasive paper to convince the teacher that their favorite t.v. show is worth watching (maybe even record and bring it for the top winners as a prize along with popcorn).

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2007

How to... (instructional narratives)
    All about books
    memoir
    personal narratives
    poetry
    small moments

6. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2007

What about an Author Study (I'm doing this now with Ezra J. Keats), poetry, how-to books, letter writing, small moments(writing across pages)??

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2007

By the way...I wanted to add some things you can do during an author study just to make it more clear. We read a bunch of Ezra j. k books and then we pick apart all the wonderful things he does in his writing. Like using ellipses, repeated words on a page, using dash words(s-l-o-w-l-y). We also make a "craft chart" to keep track of all the things we are learning to do. Then the children try it in their own writing. I am actually using Lucy Calkins Units of Study and I love doing writing workshop!!!!!
    Good luck!

8. grade2rocks

grade2rocks Rookie

Jan 22, 2007

We are required to teach the following genres: personal narrative; procedural (how-to); non-fiction (all-about book); poetry. We can expand these into memoir, literary non-fiction, author's studies as the kids are able. Again, Lucy Calkin's Units of Study are very helpful.