Writing to Children's Authors

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KLSSwimmer, Nov 14, 2009.

1. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Nov 14, 2009

I would like to do an author study sometime soon in my kindergarten class. As part of the author study, I would like for the kids to "write" letters to the author. Any suggestions on authors that would respond to the kids? How do I go about writing to them?

Thanks!

3. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Nov 15, 2009

I'm not sure who would respond, but most authors are contacted through the publisher. Some may have a way to contact them on their website, but again the address given is usually through the publisher.
    SO check their own website first. If no address is given, get the name of their publisher from their most recent book and look the publishers website. You will definitely be able to contact them this way.

4. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Nov 15, 2009

Bruce Larkin

We wrote to him through his publisher, Wilbooks. We use Bruce Larkin books in our take home reading program and guided reading program. Our first grade students had voted him as their favorite author. He was nice enough to send an autographed book to each child in the class! The kiddos were amazed.

5. tgim

tgim Habitué

Nov 15, 2009

Wow - t2rd - that is amazing! I want to do something like this later in the year.

When my kids at home were small, we discovered a wonderful fall book called Possum's Harvest Moon, by Anne Hunter, I believe. The kids loved that book and wanted to read more by her, so we checked into her books at the library - only to discover that it was her first book. They wanted to write to her (at ages 3 and 5), so we did. She wrote back personally to tell us thank you and to watch for a new book in the spring. It was so phenomenal that a "real live" author wrote to us! They loved it~

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 15, 2009

I do the same thing in my K class. In September, we studied Eric Carle. At the end of the unit we wrote him a letter (as a class), and we received a postcard and a copy of his newsletter, the "Caterpillar Express." In October, we studied Leo Lionni, so we couldn't write him a letter. This month is Mem Fox, so we'll see what happens when we write her.

I don't know if we'll ever get a "real" response, but the kids still get excited.

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 15, 2009

Janet Stevens took a Flat Stanely of mine on vacation with her one time and sent back a lot of wonderful items.

Jan Brett will write you as well as Patricia Poloaco.

I'm sure it depends on how busy they are.

8. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Nov 15, 2009

I think it depends. When I was homeschooling we did FLat Stanley and J.K. Rowling took our Flat Stanely and sent him back with all kinds of stuff.

9. Bomber

Bomber New Member

Nov 16, 2009

Authors

Most authors have a website or a comment area on their publishers website. I think trying newer authors would be best because they would be keen to promote their work and probably more willing to answer questions. Check out:
    strategicbookpublishing.com/Ghostnapped
    This is a new author you might like to try. Ashley Howland's first book is Ghostnapped. I recently read it to my year 2/3 class and they loved it, it was also popular with the year 6/7 class. So give that a go.