Writing their names

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Oct 27, 2008

Ok, my four-year-olds are supposed to identify all 26 capital letters by the end of the year, but not the lowercase. When I have them write their names, most that are writing letters use all caps. Should I have them practice writing using one capital and the rest lowercase (as I know they'll have to do in kindergarten next year)?

3. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Oct 27, 2008

Yes. They need to learn how to recognize & spell their name in the correct format. That means upper and lower case letters.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 27, 2008

Yes, please I am begging you! It is so hard to break the habit of writing their name in all caps. I tell everyone i know to teach kids to write it the correct way the first time and it saves them frustration in the future.

5. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Oct 27, 2008

I have never taught my prek kids to write their name in all caps. In fact I have several that I am trying to break of that habit. I always teach them to write their name in correct format even if they can't identify all the lowercase letters. At least they know the letters in their name!

6. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Oct 27, 2008

Yes, please!!! It is such a pet peeve of mine. So many kids come into Pre-K all proud that they know how to write their names (and rightfully so!) and then I am so disappointed when I realize I will have to spend the next few months gently breaking it to them that they need to learn to write it all over again, differently. They need to know how to do this properly.

I also don't agree with teaching only capitals, not lowercase. My students learn both at the same time- how confusing to learn, in a year from now, that there are TWO ways to write the letter A! But perhaps there is a reason behind it that I am just not aware of.

7. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Oct 28, 2008

8. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Oct 28, 2008

That's interesting, but I'm in Headstart, and we can't do workbooks. I do like some of the sensory writing materials, though . . . maybe I can make my own.

9. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Oct 28, 2008

I know, I'm teaching both, I just have to assess the capitals, though. I thought I was doing right by doing both, but my assistant (who's been with HS a year) said I wasn't. Well, I'm the teacher for a reason, right? :rolleyes:

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 28, 2008

I strongly agree! It's SUCH a hard habit to break!

11. forkids

forkids Cohort

Oct 29, 2008

I agree also. It is a VERY hard habit to break. I also disagree with focusing on the uppercase letters. I teach both and I focus more on the lowercase. When we read & write, it's mainly lowercase with uppercase used when needed and this is the way I teach it. I don't understand why some people still think Pre-K kids should focus on uppercase letters.

12. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Oct 29, 2008

The worst part about mainly focusing on capital letters is that, in general, lower case letters are the letters that kids SEE all the time. For every capital letter out there, there are probably at least 100 lower case letters. It just doesn't make sense to teach them separate from each other!

13. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Oct 30, 2008

My 3 year olds are expceted to be able to recognize and name msot of the alphabet , uppercase by the end of the year--and most do. I use uppercase flashcards at circle and have flash cards that they like to "play" with that have both the uppercase and lowercase as well as a picture , and I teach themt o write their names With fist letter uppercase and rest lower.

14. jaque17

jaque17 New Member

Oct 31, 2008

Although there are adults I met just write uppercase letters (they type on computers most of the time, and don't hand write that much), I really believe teaching kids to write in lowercase is very important.

Think about it, that's some teaching process for a few months maximum, but will last for a life time.

15. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Nov 1, 2008

My district bought Handwriting Without Tears for Pre-K, 4 years ago. It only teaches upper case. However, I have to assess upper case, lower case and sounds at the end of the year. So I teach both and teach them to write their names with one cap and the rest lower.

I also teach in Public School with Head Start. I've been told that they are there to support the teacher and they haven't said anything about writing.

When I taught 1st grade, we taught reading in "chunks". It's very hard to read chunks in all upper case. I find myself skipping emails and papers written in all uppercase. I don't want to take the time to figure it out plus it feels like they are yelling.