Writing Survey

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Guest, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Nov 4, 2002

Hello,

I am a college student in Arlington, Texas studying to become a teacher. I would appreciate it if you could answer the following questions for a homework assignment. Please respond by November 8 if possible. Thank you very much for your time.

Robin Leming

Do your students use journals?

What are your journal policies (topics, frequency, privacy)?

Do your students use portfolios?

What are your portfolio policies (typical assignments, quantity of work kept, weight of portfolio grade)?

What other types of creative writing assignments do you use?

Do you feel that any of your writing assignments have helped students reduce their prejudices? Why or why not?

For statistical purposes:

What type is your school – urban, suburban, or rural?

What is your school size?

What is your state?

What subject do you teach?

What grade level do you teach?

What is your gender?

What is your age?

Again, thank you very much for your time and thoughts.

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Nov 4, 2002

answers

Robin,
    Do your students use journals?My students keep a writing portfolio (first/second graders)

What are your journal policies (topics, frequency, privacy)? we enter in weekly as creative writing responses. I teach a concept and they respond in their creative writing.

Do your students use portfolios? portfolios only to observe by parents and administration.

What are your portfolio policies (typical assignments, quantity of work kept, weight of portfolio grade)? the portfolio entries are based on tasks assigned at the beginning of the month. for continuity amongst all the 1st/2nd grade teachers

What other types of creative writing assignments do you use? We work on letter writing, poetry, analyzing sentences for grammar parts of speech. Persuasive Narrative and Expository writing. Use of synonyms and pronouns.

Do you feel that any of your writing assignments have helped students reduce their prejudices? Why or why not? My students exude such confidence in their writing from the beginning of the year. They were so fearful in the beginning to even use phonetic spelling.

What type is your school – urban, suburban, or rural? suburban

What is your school size? pre k-9th grade HUGE

What is your state? Florida

What subject do you teach? all

What grade level do you teach? combined 1/2 grades

What is your gender? female

What is your age? 30 something
    I hope this has helped. good luck. ruth

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Nov 4, 2002

Re: answers

Ruth,

Thank you very much for your answers and your time

Robin

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 4, 2002

Hi.

I teach 5th grade in a very small (under 100) private school, Jr K to 8th. Tuition is about $7000 per year. This is in a suburban area of south Florida. We have a fairly normal population distribution, though we may have a large percentage of students who need a small environment. There are 11 5th graders in my class, 6 girls and 5 boys. One is dyslexic, two are ADD, one is low IQ and LD. Several are gifted. I am female, age 49.

I have used journals in the past. Am not now, but will be later on in the year.

I don't use portfolios.

We are now working on a large project - a class magazine to be distributed to the whole school. It includes short stories, how-to articles, cartoons, surveys, poetry, reviews, non-fiction research, debate (persuasive writing), mad-libs. Also, artwork, mazes and word searches.

In class we are working on punctuation, grammar, parts of speech, dialogue, and, especially, adding details to simple sentences. We write friendly letters often.

What do you mean by 'reduce prejudices'? Prejudice against writing or prejudice in their lives? Our school teaches and models respect for others.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Nov 4, 2002

7. Robin Leming

Robin Leming New Member

Nov 5, 2002

Upsadaisy,

Thanks again for your answers and your time. For "predudice" I meant prejudice in their lives. My assignment is for a class about diversity. Sorry my question wasn't more clear.

Robin

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Nov 6, 2002

9. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Nov 8, 2002

Do your students use journals?
    YES

What are your journal policies (topics, frequency, privacy)?
    WRITE AT LEAST FIVE SENTENCES, THEN DRAW (SO THEY STAY ON TASK- NO0T ALL KIDS CAN WRITE ON AND ON). I PROVIDE TOPICS I THINK ARE INTERESTING.

Do your students use portfolios?
    NO

What are your portfolio policies (typical assignments, quantity of work kept, weight of portfolio grade)?
    N/A

What other types of creative writing assignments do you use?
    WE WRITE STORIES AND CLASS BOOKS AND POEMS ALL THE TIME

Do you feel that any of your writing assignments have helped students reduce their prejudices? Why or why not?
    I DO FEEL THAT WAY BECAUSE I USE A LOT OF PROVOCATIVE TOPICS AND THEN WE DISCUSS THEM AT CLASS MEETINGS. VOLUNTEERS READ WHAT THEY WROTE AND WE DEBATE ABOUT OUT OWN OPINIONS.

What type is your school – urban, suburban, or rural?
    URBAN/ SUBURBAN

What is your school size?

What is your state?
    MARYLAND

What subject do you teach?
    3RD GRADE

What grade level do you teach?

What is your gender?
    F

What is your age?

10. Robin Leming

Robin Leming New Member

Nov 8, 2002

Angela,

Thanks again (very much) for your answers and your time.

Robin

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Nov 14, 2002

Do your students use journals? Yes

What are your journal policies (topics, frequency, privacy)? We write journals daily with the exception of test or quiz days. My topics vary from open ended questions (write about your most embarrassing moment) to story starters (the scream could be heard for miles). I also supplement some diverse thinking exercises (in three minutes, write down all the possible uses you can think of for a brick) and editing/revising skills (correct the four sentences on the board so that they make more sense).

Do your students use portfolios? Yes. I am in KY and we have a very specific set of guidelines for their writing portfolio required by the state.

What are your portfolio policies (typical assignments, quantity of work kept, weight of portfolio grade)? The students writing portfolio is assessed their 4th, 8th and 12th grade years. They have to include a personal essay, a creative writing, and transactive pieces.

What other types of creative writing assignments do you use? Anything I can possibly come up with. My assessment for this last chapter was to create their own colony and draw a map showing all of the different things in it. I also teacher various types of poetry, etc.

Do you feel that any of your writing assignments have helped students reduce their prejudices? Why or why not? Often, I will teach something that will challenge their commonly held beliefs, or we'll talk about stereotyping and prejudices. I do my best to stretch their minds.

What type is your school – urban, suburban, or rural? rural

What is your school size? 1,800

What is your state? KY

What subject do you teach? English/Speech/Drama

What grade level do you teach? 9-12

What is your gender? F

What is your age? 30

12. Robin Leming

Robin Leming New Member

Nov 14, 2002

To "Unregistered Guest"

Thanks for taking the time to complete my survey.

Robin