Writing stations

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by firstgradeteach, Jan 9, 2009.

1. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Jan 9, 2009

I am trying to give my writing time a "makeover".

I went from writing workshop, Lucy Calkins Style. (Which I still love)

to having four stations (art, art writing, write with teacher and write at your desk)

and now I want to have a format like the one below but I haven't quite figured out the glitches. I would really appreciate any suggestions you might have.

10 minute class book time
    (focusing on one step of the writing process each day for the book.)
    I haven't quite figured out if I should partner students together to make a page the whole year or completely do it as a whole class etc. I think for publishing we would have to separate the pages and assign jobs to each student but I'm not sure what size of groups I should have before publishing.

20 minutes of stations
    (I would love suggestions on what you do- I think I would prefer all lengthy writing assignments and not games. However, I really don't know exactly what I want. I would love any ideas that you are willing to share.)

writing trait mini-lesson

20 minutes of writing stations or something else

I am not very experienced in shared writing or making class books. I could really use some help. What do you do for writing block?

3. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Jan 12, 2009

Like you, I have done writing workshop during the first half of the year. And I am looking for a change to spice things up. I got excited when reading your post as I got an idea. I could do four stations, the same as yours, art, art writing, write with teacher, and write at your desk. Kids could go through the stations like the writing process. Art station (prewrite), art writing (drafting), teacher station (revising/editing) and desk writing (final drafting).
    Thanks for the idea. I hope to implement this next week!;)

4. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Jan 13, 2009

Yay! You put it all in perspective! That is an awesome idea! Thank you for sharing! :-D

5. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jan 15, 2009

Is this aside from your guided reading time? How much time do you have allotted for writing? How would you go about doing the 4 work stations each day? How will you group your kids and what kind of activities will you do at each work station? This sound great would like more info to see if I can do this in my class? Thanks!

6. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Jan 15, 2009

I hope this wasn't too confusing. I'm beat and need to hit the hay soon. Good luck!

7. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jan 15, 2009

thanks...that helps.....so you work on one piece a week? I only have 40 min for writing. Wondering how I could do so....do all kids start at the same station and move about as they finish?

8. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Jan 15, 2009

thanks...that helps.....so you work on one piece a week?
    I have a handful of really strong writers so I would not limit them to just one piece. Those kids who do more can just choose what piece they want to turn in to me on Friday.

...do all kids start at the same station and move about as they finish?
    Not everyone will start at the same station on the same day. I will have some kids start a new story. Some kids will revisit and edit an old piece from their writing workshop folders. Some of my kids are editing and they will start their art project.

My kids will move about as they finish their stage. I should put up a checklist of the minimum I want at each station.

9. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Jan 16, 2009

I used to let the students just "run" through the writing process. Some students would end up with 8-15 stories a week!(Not high quality!) I am going to try limiting how much they can go through the process because so many of them would rush. They used to move their clip on a chart for when they moved to a new stage of the writing process. I have told my students that they can free write in their journals if they finish with their station early.(They usually don't finish early because I give them a lot to do at the station.) I only have a third of my students who use the writing process on their own. The others are still in need of training.

I changed my centers a little this week. Writing prompt (I give them three choices), picture response (from old calendars), creative writing/art, write with teacher. When they write with me, I give them either a short assignment and lesson or help with unfinished writing. This was easier to implement right away.

How have your new stations worked out?

I think that I need to work with these with the modeling of writing process and work towards your centers.