writing sentences in different ways

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kit_kate27, Feb 13, 2017.

1. kit_kate27

kit_kate27 Rookie

Feb 13, 2017

Hi all,

I want to teach my SpEd students to write sentences in different formats. Right now their writing consists basically of "I like X because..." or "The X is X (the cat is running)". Do you know of any worksheets that teach students to write the same idea in different formats?

Thanks!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 13, 2017

If you google 'varying sentence structure' you will find loads of resources.

My students know that they should not start sentences with the word, 'I'. One told me that it was impossible not to do so!

Give them suggestions for introductory phrases and dependent clauses and help them create some of their own. When the dog barked, ....... If we get ice cream later, ........ So that the party is a success, ......

Take a very basic sentence and take turns adding adjectives, adverbs, and prepositional phrases and clauses to it:
    The dog sat.
    The furry dog sat.
    The big, furry dog sat quietly.
    The big, furry dog sat quietly near the fireplace.

Change statements to interrogative sentences.

Practice writing commands and responses. 'Susan yelled, "Go get the paint" and John cried, "Where is it?"

And this from http://writingcommons.org/style/sentence-construction/540-vary-sentence-structure-
    Compound sentence: Contains two complete sentences (independent clauses) joined by a coordinating conjunction (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so).

• Example: The cell phone rang right before class, so the student quickly turned off her phone's ringer.
    Complex sentence:Contains an independent clause joined by one or more dependent clauses.

• Example: To avoid an interruption during class, the student turned off her phone's ringer.
    Compound-complex sentence: Contains a combination of a compound sentence and a complex sentence.

• Example: In order to keep her attention focused on class activities, the student turned off her phone's ringer, and she put her ear buds in her backpack.

Obadiah and otterpop like this.
  4. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Feb 14, 2017

I learned this at a workshop and found it a profitable exercise. I ask a student for a noun. (E.g., fish). That student stands in front of the class and becomes that word. Then I ask what the fish did. (swam) That student stands next to the "fish" student. The class "reads" our sentence so far, "Fish swam." (The words are not written out, each student symbolizes the chosen word). I ask the students to "surround the noun". (The fish swam). That student comes up and we read the sentence. I ask if we can surround the noun again. (red) That student comes up and we read, "The red fish swam." The exercise continues in this manner and when we're finished we'll have a sentence such as, "When the octopus came by, the red fish swam far away."

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 14, 2017

I love the active component of this. They always remember the active lessons best.

Obadiah likes this.
  6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2017

Honestly, I don't think worksheets are the answer. Writing for real reasons and purposes is probably what's needed. Then you could teach mini lessons how good writers tell more, by describing, giving reasons, etc. Model this kind of writing. Have students participate in shared writing. Writing everyday and developing this writing is what will improve their sentence structures. Make it purposeful and meaningful, and then you will get better quality.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  7. Whinged

Whinged Guest

Mar 2, 2017

Unsaidaisy useful information. Thanks. I needed the same help, especially because now i feel really bad, and i use my computer just to search for drug reviews. Thank you very much, this is helpful!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2017
    Upsadaisy likes this.
  8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 2, 2017

I would write a few sentences on the board and then ask students what they notice about your writing. Bring the discussion to the criteria you would like students to use when writing sentences. OR write sentences and share your thinking out loud while you record them on the board. Then give students a chance to practice re-wording some sentences in their own writing. At the end of the lesson have them put a star next to their favourite revised sentence and give everyone the chance to share their best sentence with the class.

Obadiah likes this.
  9. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Mar 3, 2017

I agree! Students tend to imitate their teacher's or parents' thinking when writing (or reading). This also led me to another idea. Sentences could be copied onto the board from a book that the class has read or listened to for analysis.