Writing Sample

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ashlified, Sep 4, 2015.

1. ashlified

ashlified Rookie

Sep 4, 2015

Hey everyone - I have an interview coming up at a district that needs someone ASAP. Without getting into it, the current teacher has some issues and that spot is now a leave replacement. School starts Tuesday but they are calling me in on Wednesday. So two questions:

1. I currently work at a private school that is over an hour from my house. On Wednesday, we will be at school but no kids until Thursday. I have been searching and searching to get out of there - what do you think I should tell my admin? I always feel guilty making something up - should I be honest and say here's what's going on?

2. For the interview, the secretary said instead of a demo to bring in a writing sample about a good lesson. That just sounds so vague to me...she's like yeah structure and all that. :confused: Any ideas? I'm a great writer just want to get it right.

3. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 4, 2015

Tell your admin you have an interview (If the district is closer to your home, say the interview is at a district that would be less of a commute?)

Maybe bring in a sample lesson plan with a narrative as to how you would teach it from the writing sample?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2015

1. I currently work at a private school that is over an hour from my house. On Wednesday, we will be at school but no kids until Thursday. I have been searching and searching to get out of there - what do you think I should tell my admin? I always feel guilty making something up - should I be honest and say here's what's going on?

Is your current admin aware you are looking elsewhere? Being honest about your interview depends on your relationship there, whether your classroom is ready to go, what trainings you'll be missing. We had two teachers miss our teacher day but both of them have some major health issues going on....

2. For the interview, the secretary said instead of a demo to bring in a writing sample about a good lesson. That just sounds so vague to me...she's like yeah structure and all that. :confused: Any ideas? I'm a great writer just want to get it right. treat it as an essay...describe a lesson that you've taught that you feel great about. Discuss your teaching, what kids would be doing, how you differentiate, how you assessed learning. You want to paint a picture of who you are as an educator. I'd also attach a copy of the lesson plan.

Good luck!

5. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Sep 5, 2015

1) You hate the commute but you enjoy the job.

2) Think of a hands-on lesson that you loved, age appropriate for position offered.

6. ashlified

ashlified Rookie

Sep 10, 2015

Thanks everyone. I made it to the top 2 going to the assistant superintendent tomorrow. I have never had a superintendent interview - any advice?!