Writing Rubrics

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by suzieq1083, Sep 4, 2007.

1. suzieq1083

suzieq1083 New Member

Sep 4, 2007

I would like to give my students some sore of rubric for their writing. I have no problem writing one and all that fun stuff. My question is can I wait untill the 2nd or 3rd week. I don't want to throw all this at them all at once. Is it okay to let them write for me now and just count it pass or fail, and get to the rubric part later??? I have never taught 5th grade so I am just not sure.

3. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Sep 4, 2007

I would make your rubrics specific to the assignment you are doing. For example the first assignment in my class is an All About Me brochure. Here is the rubric for that particular assignment.

Front Cover _____ 5
    All About Me _____20
    Hobbies _____ 20
    Family Ties _____20
    School News _____20
    Back Cover _____ 5
    Neatness _____5
    Creativity _____5

Total _______/100

We have AWESOME 4th grade writing teachers (4th grade is our state test for writing) so the kids come to us with "tools" they can use. They know that "flat" sentences are not allowed, and they will lose points if I get writing like this.

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2007

If you don't have the 4th grade as the state test for writing (we don't, it's ours), I wouldn't grade them for the first few weeks. We're in the fourth week, I'll put a grade on the one they are currently working on. I'm looking for about ten things that we've talked about and they'll get a checklist (or rubric if I have time). In fact, I need to get off and make it now!

5. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Sep 4, 2007

Have you started yet? If so, how long have you been back? I agree that if you just started this week, wait on the rubric. Sometimes it's like information overload for these kids. If you do decide to give them one, keep it really simple like TXTCH29 did.

6. suzieq1083

suzieq1083 New Member

Sep 5, 2007

Thanks for the advice. I started Tuesday. I just want to prepare these kids right because they go to Jr. High next year. I don't want them to be lost.