Writing Rubrics

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mudpie1598, Dec 3, 2006.

1. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Dec 3, 2006

Hi,

I have a question about student work. When they complete their work do you just put a happy/sad face or a star on their work?

I want to grade their writing according to some rubric, do any of you have any writing rubrics that you use? If so, what are the rating scales (4, 3, 2, 1 or do you just place a star on it or a happy/sad face?)

I'm getting stulled on Friday so I took home a bunch of the student's work but I'm unsure on how to record it in a grade book. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks! ;)

3. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Dec 3, 2006

depends on what grade your teaching. In third grade we use a 1, 2, 3, 4 scale. Depending on what type of writing it is depends on the rubric. For example if they write a letter it has diffrent qualifications to get a four then a rubric for a narrative. Does that help any?

4. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Dec 3, 2006

5. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Dec 3, 2006

It helps a bit. I'm teaching Kindergarten. Thanks.

6. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Dec 3, 2006

I hate grading writing, but that rubric on that link I put up is really good. That can guide you towards a grade. I would grade instead of a happy sad face because when report card time comes you have to be able to put something there unless your state does it diffrently then you could use happy sad.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2006

hmmmm, Kindergarten you have a LARGE range of skills. There's a range in every grade but in K, with emergent literacy, it would be extremely hard for me to grade everyone on the same scale. What would you consider your benchmarks for writing in K? Maybe things like: developing understanding of phonemic awareness, work is neat, shows left to right progression in writing, pictures match words...etc. Maybe attach a checklist to pieces of writing check off the benchmarks that you see a child meeting?

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 3, 2006

I have a couple of questions. First of all, how often do your students write? Do you grade each and everyone of their writing? I'm asking because I am big on writing in kindergarten. My kids write everyday in their journals with some assistence from me. I also have them write me a story once a month on a particular topic all on their own. So, for these type of stories, I would grade (I don't grade writings though, only DWA's from the D.O.). But those would be the ones that I would grade. This would give you an idea of how your children grew just in a one month span. Grading each and every writing, though seems a bit too much.
    I don't grade writing because I kjnow that my students are putting in their all when they come to me for writing. They are very exited about writing and I feel hesitent at the idea of giving them a low grade or a sad face on their work that they worked hard on. If they tried their best, then that's the work that they will do until they are ready to apply new skills into their writing. I do like what czacza said about using a checklist. Check off the standards/benchmarks that you see in their writing. Then you can tell them, look at this, we get to check off another standard! Good job!

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 3, 2006

Another question, are you asking for some kind of rubric because of report cards? Does your report card ask for some kind of grade for the standards? I know that for our report card, we just mark whether they met the standard, whether they are approaching, or if they have not met the standard. I save those writing stories that they do once a month and so if for some reason, parents question their writing, I have a couple of their writing for each month. Also, I always send in a copy of their most recent, writing that they did on their own with the report card. That way parents can see why I gave the score that I did.

10. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Dec 9, 2006

I know that I am late to answer this, but in my district we use a writing rubric to grade our kindergartners. This is the first year using it and some teachers agree while some don't with it. Basically we grade the writing and the picture, then combine the score for one final score. I'll see if I can scan the rubric on Monday, but its pretty understandable.

11. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Dec 9, 2006

Thanks, that would be helpful!

12. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Dec 9, 2006

I'm also looking for a cute saying something like...

"I did my work and so much more, that's why I earned a 4."

Does someone use a rubric similar to this?

13. twoinazoo

twoinazoo Rookie

Dec 9, 2006

We do "4-Star Writing," based on a series called Write From the Beginning. Our criteria changes throughout the year, but there are 4 basic areas in which we grade. If they can do let's say 2 out of the 4 areas, they get two stars. If they can do 3 out of the 4, they get 3 stars, etc. This system is great because 1) they understand what the expectations are, and 2) they understand and can articulate to others how to improve their papers if they do not get all four stars. (We use a star stamp to stamp the top corner of their writing sample. And we only use the stars to assess writing that is the product of an indepth lesson. So we don't use them for journals, etc.)

The criteria that we will be starting in January will be:

1) The picture contains a well-developed character and a detailed setting. [The person has to be showing an action, and it has to have detailed body parts, like hands, hair, nose, etc. The setting has to have at least 5 or more clues to tell the reader when/where the picture is taking place.]

2) Starts with a capital and ends with a period.

3) Two finger spacing (between words).

4) All sight words and CVC words are spelled correctly. Other words are spelled phonetically.

These are end of the year standards. And this is what we are working towards and so most kids will not be able to do these things quite yet. During our first trimester the criteria was much simpler. I hope that helped to answer your question!