Writing rubrics/grading writing

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by 2Teach_is_2Care, Aug 3, 2006.

1. 2Teach_is_2Care

2Teach_is_2Care Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

I was wondering :confused: if anyone had a good writing rubric (or grading procedure) to grade students' writing. This is my first year teaching writing, so some suggestions would be great! I have been googling this online, but nothing has caught my eye, as of yet. Thanks!

3. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Aug 3, 2006

At a workshop I attended the teacher said she gets her rubrics from rubistar (http://rubistar.4teachers.org/index.php). She then cuts a regular sheet of paper in 3 slips and each piece of writing gets graded three times. The students get the rubric and three slips of paper to write their comments on. Three students each grade one piece of writing so that by the time all three kids grade the paper, it is usually graded thoroughly. They all three check for the items on the rubric but each time they rotate papers they have one other specific thing they are looking for. #1st time graded checks for words the student could have used better words for... bland non-descriptive words and circles them in blue. #2nd time graded the student checks for transition words and circles them in green. #3rd time graded the student checks the introduction and conclusion to make sure they have strong clear introductions and conclusions. She just says phase 1 grading, phase 2 grading, and phase 3 grading and the students know to pass the paper to someone else with the slip clipped to it and get another person's paper to grade in the "next" phase. She said at first it takes a while for the students to get the hang of it and she has to model how to go through the rubric and check for each item several times. However, by the time the students learn to go through the rubrics and the extra three things she has them check for, they know what is expected in their writing and know how to spot when they don't have what is expected. They also get to see their peer's writing and see examples of what good strong writing is and what is weak writing. I hope this is clear. It sounded like an awesome idea and would give the students immediate feedback on their writing, which is what they really need. I haven't used it yet but plan to this year.
    :) Amy

4. 2Teach_is_2Care

2Teach_is_2Care Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

rubiStar

Thanks for the website and advice. I was able to create a rubric that will work for my students (and myself!) The editing/revising idea you gave is also interesting... :) :thanks:

5. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 3, 2006

I use the rubistar site as well. Sometimes, I have graded the process. If they write a paper, but don't show prewriting, they would get a lower grade.