writing requirement to enroll in SJSU

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Emma1, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Emma1

Emma1 Companion

Jun 5, 2007

Hi,
    I am planning to get my Teaching credential through San jose state university. There is a written test before the counseling session inorder to verify my proficiency. Did any one go through this process? I was told that there will be a computer and I will be given 30 minutes to finish my essay. I would like to know if the topic would be more general or specific aspects about education etc. I have passed the cbest and the written exam was very simple. Do you think this will be similar to cbest written exam? Any one out there please help. I have to go in there within the next few days.
    Thanks,
    Emma:)

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 6, 2007

If it isn't a fairly standard five-paragraph essay that's required, I'd be surprised. It would make sense, though, to doublecheck this with either SJSU's testing office (probably the best bet) or the college of education.

4. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Jun 6, 2007

I don't go to this school, but had to do something similar. We were given 5 topics at the test site, and were told to choose 2. We had to write 2, 5 paragraph essays. All of them had to do with education, or young children.

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 6, 2007

I was accepted at SJSU before choosing CalStateTEACH (CSU's non-traditional teacher prep program). I did NOT have any kind of essay to prove my proficiency before being enrolled. They did require a technology proficiency test (to assess my ability to use Microsoft Word, PPT, and Excel, for example). Are you sure this isn't what they're talking about?

If things have changed (I was accepted there last September), and you do have to do an essay, I suspect your CBEST experiences will replay themselves and you'll find it easy. Good luck!

6. Emma1

Emma1 Companion

Jun 7, 2007

written exam

Hi ,
    Thank you for all the responses. I am planning to do single subject credential(science). I know there is a test to prove your knowledge of computers. But this one is a written exam where they will ask an educational question and I will be given 30 minutes to write about the topic.I know for sure that there is no such exam for Multiple subject credential.
    Thanks,
    Emma

7. SJteach

SJteach New Member

Jun 20, 2007

I did this a few months ago. Both the writing requirement and the tech test are really easy. There was no computer for my writing test, just a paper with the writing prompt and extra blank pages for if I ran out of room. The prompt was quite easy, it was something to do with teaching. I just wrote a few paragraphs that clearly stated my opinion on the subject, and I got an email a few weeks later saying that I passed. I only wrote on one paper, both sides.

The tech test was easy if you are fairly proficient with a computer. You have to do several tasks like use the internet, make changes in a word processing document, put together a small (like 3 page) powerpoint presentation, use excel, etc. I think you get 3 hours to complete the exam, but I only used half the time and passed.

The most frustrating thing about the SJSU application process is that I applied for next fall (single subject credential program) and I still haven't heard back! I sent in my application over two months ago, and the fall quarter starts in two months. Has anyone else had this issue with SJSU? I'm getting nervous...