Writing Prompts for K

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by clynns, Dec 29, 2010.

1. clynns

clynns Companion

Dec 29, 2010

Hi! As part of my school's improvement plan we are going to begin having students have a writing prompt several nights a week. Since it is going to be homework it needs to be somewhat simple. Any suggestions on where I can find writing prompts appropriate for early writers? Thanks!

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 29, 2010

I don't think you can go wrong with feelings-I feel sad when...., I am excited when..., surprised when....

Or make it seasonal-when it snows...., Penguins like to....

This site had some good prompts:

http://journalbuddies.com/teacher-parent-resources/48-thought-provoking-elementary-writing-prompts/

Just a word of warning-whenever I would send writing homework for the kids-it would come back spelled perfectly, complete sentences, etc. If you are looking for invented spelling from them, genuine student work, I would make sure the parents know that. It was like the parents would write it and have the kids copy it on the paper-which of course completely defeats the purpose.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2010

What about pictures? They could look at the picture and describe what's in the picture, or what's happening in the picture.