Writing over lamination

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherGrl7, Jul 29, 2007.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jul 29, 2007

This year I am determined to be able to reuse as many things as possible. I'm looking to laminate things like my posters, desk nameplates, my busy bee diecuts for jobs, etc.

What is the best way for me to go about this? My program does not offer me laminating, so all of my stuff will be done either at Staples and the like, or smaller things I do myself with contact paper. What should I use to write on the stuff? Sharpie, dry erase markers? And what is the best way to remove the marker at the end of the year? Can I expect to be able to erase them in June and still have them in good condition to reuse in September?

Thanks!! I'd really like to take advantage of using my stuff over and over. :love:

3. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

I used dry erase markers on laminated sentence strips and posters, but we erased it everyday - it took a while before it was really easy to erase, but it erases great. (If I didn't erase it everyday, it was REALLY hard to get off). I also used overhead pens to write on things and just used a wet paper towel to erase it & it worked fine too.

I re-used my things for a few years & most still look great (some will need to be replaced soon). I don't use Sharpies on anything unless I want it to be permanent.

4. Joe Teacher

Joe Teacher Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

Something that I found out by accident was that if you do want to erase something written in a Sharpie pen (on a laminated surface), all you have to do is write over it with a dry erase marker and the chemicals in the dry erase marker actually dissolves the Sharpie writing! So in case you have something written that you think is permanent, there's still hope to reuse it!

5. mariah

mariah Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

For things like nametags, birthday posters, and more permanent items, I do use a sharpie. Then a magic eraser takes it off pretty easily. Otherwise on things that need to be erased, I use a dry erase marker or the overhead pen, like others mentioned.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 29, 2007

I use Sharpie on laminated nametags and my birthday poster. I take it off easily with nail polish remover. If kids try to rub it off it won't smear. But eventually if kids rub enough for a long period of time some of the sharpie will come off.

I also have laminated charts. We use dry erase markers on those, and use the Magic Eraser to erase it the next morning.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 29, 2007

I use visa via pens for the overhead. They wash off with water. And the surface stays clean and looks like nothing was ever there. When the pen is there, as long as it stays dry, the ink stays too. Very easy! I find that dry eraser markers really leave color behind, and are hard to get off.

GO VISA VIA!

8. lorac

lorac Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

Remember that Office Max is offering free laminating to teachers on Thursdays! :)

I had a bulletin board with pieces that were laminated and I wrote the students names on them. After a couple of months, I took the board down and was able to easily erase the names. It's good for another year. I used transparency markers.

9. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

Rubbing or denatured alcohol will remove sharpie marks with considerable ease. Just dab a bit on a cotton swab or paper towel and wipe away!

10. Xtine

Xtine Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I've actually started using the Crayola Window Chalk markers for writing on laminated things. It dries well and then needs a wet erase. I laminate dot to dot's and mazes for my preschoolers and find that these work far better than vis a vis, dry erase, or crayons for us.

11. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

What are the best markers to use on overhead transparencies?

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 29, 2007

Wax pencils also work well on both lamination and overheads.

13. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

So can I really bring in 10 posters and ask them to laminate them? How long between the drop off and the pick up? And how do they keep everyone's stuff straight?

14. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 29, 2007

Remember too, that you can get nametags at Dollar Tree, etc. for a dollar a pack. This year, I'm using "name tents" from Dollar Tree, 24 to a pack, and since I don't need tents, I cut them in half and have 48! We use three sets of nametags per year, so this is great. I think it's a lot less trouble than erasing old writing and rewriting new names.

15. MrsQuinn

MrsQuinn New Member

Jul 29, 2007

I use a Sharpie on things the kids will be handling. It can be easily removed with AquaNet hairspray.

16. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

Check out your local university for laminating. At mine they have an eductional center where we can get stuff laminated, check out books for our class, pick up standards materials, get butcher paper, etc.

17. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 29, 2007

Mrs. Quinn: I keep hairspray at school for several reasons, none of which have to do with my hair: emergency ant/flying insect killer; spraying over chalk art; odor neutralizer in the absence of real air freshener; and now, to erase Sharpie marks on lamination! Perfect!

18. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jul 29, 2007

That's what I'm wondering too! I keep hearing about that and I have a TON of stuff to be laminated. Can I bring in little things, like my nameplates and small die cuts? And there is no limit? I feel kinda bad bringing my whole stack of stuff to them, but I don't have laminating at my job so free anywhere else is a dream!

19. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Jul 30, 2007

Its a good idea to laminate then write on your charts. I have a few charts I made in my first years of teaching that I wrote on first, then laminated - and now I cant change things , and sometimes they need changing. Making a whole new chart is my only option now :(

Our school has a laminator.

20. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 30, 2007

For things that you don't want to erase off of your charts/posters, use a Sharpie and then laminate it. (things like your name, title of the poster if you are making it, etc.) To use things again, use a vis a vie pen or a dry erase marker. Be careful though because the vis a vie will come off easily and eventually, especially if kids are touching it, the dry erase will. I use the vis a vie for my birthdays since the kids don't touch those and my centers and some posters that will change. As far as nametags, I get new ones every year. The kids like to take them home plus they are really hard on them. I write their name with a permanent marker and then just stick them to their desk. I don't even have them laminated.

21. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2007

teachingmom, how do you stick the nametags on the desks? Do you find they need replacing during the year?

22. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 30, 2007

I do not laminate my nametags, I use packing tape over them and they last all year long unless you have a tape picker. THis past year, I just told my kiddos not to do that and they listened!!!???

23. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 30, 2007

I use packing tape on the tags to attach the tags inside cubbies. But the ones that are handled every day get laminated!

24. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 30, 2007

I also buy packing tape and totally cover the nametag with it. It works all year long and you don't have to replace them. I do have tapepickers and you can tell exactly who those are. I don't replace their nametags. They just end up without a nametag if it gets too bad.

25. jnation

jnation Companion

Jul 30, 2007

I use the vis a vis markers as well.
    For those of you who use packing tape to put on name tags, how do you go about removing the tape at the end of the year? Ours stuck very badly to the desks last year and were a real pain.

26. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 30, 2007

I've never had any trouble removing them from the wood cubbies...but maybe there are "lesser qualities" of the tape! (Duct tape now comes in colors AND in clear...I wonder if it would be easier to remove.)

27. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 30, 2007

Mine came off fine, but if there would be residue left, I would try googone which works like magic!