Writing on the board

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 20, 2007

So... how is your handwriting on the board? Crooked? Messy? Extremely neat? Do you write all over the place, or are you pretty organized? Print or cursive (Depending on age, of course)? I realize sometimes a while after a lesson, I still have a vocabulary word written obscurely on some part of the board where honestly I feel it shouldn't have belonged. :lol:

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 20, 2007

I usually print on the board, it's usually all over the place, and I write very crooked. My crooked writing is actually a joke I have going with my students.

4. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Oct 20, 2007

There are days that it comes out really crooked and others that it is straight. I always print on the board and have been told that I have very neat printing.

5. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Oct 20, 2007

Don't mean to hijack but.... I'm sending this on just to vent......
    Okay...I have been told I am a fanatic about this subject but here is my answer with a question or two of my own.....
    When I taught K-4 and first grade I was careful about writing neatly and modeling the correct form and placement of letters (had lines drawn on the board) except when I was diagramming making lists...it would be messier, but I always wrote using the form I showed them in handwriting.

In the school I teach at now (where they call me the handwriting nazi j/k but close) more than half of the first graders I have had for the last three years write their letters from the bottom up, have no form and the messiest I have ever seen. (I want to do a handwriting workshop so bad I can't stand it!) For 13 years I taught K-4 students to write and most of them wrote neatly (some were just not ready developmentally)
    but it seems that teachers are saying "oh they can type everything now" is that true? Is handwriting necessary?
    I still think it is....but am I being too old fashion?

This is my first year at fourth grade and I didn't think I would have to teach cursive (because they start in second), but I am wrong three weeks into the year I started going over cursive.

My own cursive is only neat when I am teaching cursive or have prewritten something on chart paper. Otherwise I write too fast to be really neat and I tend to go all over the board with lots of different colors.

On the lighter side ...have you ever written a note to yourself on the board as a reminder for later and then look back at it later like it is some foreign object?

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2007

My handwriting on the board is neat; however, if I'm writing a sentence the sentence tends to move up as I write.

7. cmw

cmw Groupie

Oct 20, 2007

In my school 4th & 5th aren't expected to write cursive. I was told it is not in the standards anymore so they don't teach it. :dunno:

Anyway, I try to write neatly. My students always comment that I write quickly though & they like that. :D

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 20, 2007

At the college I went to, you had to take a correspondence handwriting course with Zaner-Bloser. It was fun, but I had to re-learn how to write in cursive.

I pride myself on my handwriting in the classroom. I always use manuscript, because in our district students don't learn how to do cursive until 3rd grade.

Sometimes I tend to write at a slight slant downwards, but it's because I cannot physically write in a straight line. I've broken my right arm and hand several times, and my wrist won't turn at the right angle to write in a straight line. I always have to turn my paper sideways when I am writing not on the board. This is the reason I had to re-learn how to write cursive (it's actually very painful to write in cursive correctly).

9. maroki

maroki Comrade

Oct 20, 2007

I write neatly on the board.

My problem is that I'm too tall, and I'm usually wearing heels.

My first sentence is usually straight; the ones after (below) that start to curve drastically downhill. I try crouching but my thighs aren't always strong enough for those middle sentences, and I've tried kneeling but the board is just a little too high for that!! :cool:

I do the best I can, and usually the students don't say anything.

For the teachers that write in lines on the board; do you draw lines yourself or are they already there? I've tried drawing lines a couple of times but, like my sentences, they usually end up curving downward...

10. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Oct 20, 2007

I have neat handwriting on paper or the overhead, but I'm a lefty, and I hate writing on the board. We have whiteboards, and so I have to write so that my hand doesn't brush over my writing and smear the marker, so then it gets crooked and messy compared to my normal handwriting. I'm getting better at it though LOL (this is my first year of teaching).

I teach 4th grade, so I should probably write in cursive, but my normal style of handwriting is printing (or that mix of printing and cursive), and it's been so long since I've written regularly in correct cursive that I'm way out of practice... I write much slower in cursive. :p

11. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Oct 20, 2007

LOL I actually wish they had made us do that in college! I realized last year there are actually a few letters I had forgotten how to write correctly in cursive! I can still write in nice cursive when I try, but it takes so much longer because I have to think about it. I keep telling myself I should just start writing in cursive all the time and practice until it comes naturally again.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2007

Lefty here too Grand...and I find it hard to write on the board for fear of smearing the marker/chalk.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2007

Neat until it gets to a certain section of the board, which I am too tall for, then it becomes a mess! :) I try to just move over and start writing in a new spot when I am getting close to that area. And, it is organized neatly. I am sort OCD when it comes to organization and neatness. It is usually my "worst quality" when I do interviews....

14. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Oct 21, 2007

Neat, straight, textbook D'Nealian here, both on the board and on the overhead.

When I was in college we were drilled and drilled on writing on the blackboard. I remember one class where we would come in, find our assigned space on the boards that lined the room, and copy the assignment. When we took our break, the professor would critique our work. We would come back into the classroom and the boards would be covered with his corrections in colored chalk.

Writing neatly stuck with me.

My 4th graders are required to use cursive and we have handwriting lessons each day. It's always amazing to me that some of them will produce lovely cursive in the workbook, but their "real life" writing is messy. They don't always make the connection right away that the point is to practice in the workbook, then transfer that learning to their own work.

At our school, typed work is not permissible until Upper School.

15. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2007

I'll tall too, so mine starts to slant downwards. I teach 3rd and even though I thought they began cursive in 2nd grade, I had to start at the beginning with mine. My cursive looks pretty good on the board, but I'm just starting to write on the board in cursive (we just finished all the lowercase cursive letters). Oh, and I write all over the board. I'll write something on the left, then go to the right, and then add something where ever there is a blank space. Lol. My kids seem to understand it.

However, I've found that my handwriting when grading papers is pretty sloppy. I have so many to grade, that I just want to get it done fast!

When I was in college we didn't have to take a class, but we had to complete a cursive handwriting notebook with half Denealian and half Zaner Bloser. It took forever, and when we got it back-we found out that we had done it for completion-we didn't even get 5 points for doing it! It took hours! And now I teach Handwriting Without Tears, so it's different from both other forms of cursive.

16. cmw

cmw Groupie

Oct 21, 2007

Lots of comments about being too tall ! Well it appears for once there is an advantage out there for us short people! I'm 5'2 so being tall is never an issue :toofunny:

17. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2007

I'm a lefty too and my writing on the board starts nice and neat, but then I notice that I can't keep the letter size consistant, so I tend to not write on the board. I use the doc camera and use lined paper.
    I have a little white board with dots on it and I can use the dots to line my words up.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2007

My boardwork is neatly organized, but my handwriting could use some improvement.

I start at the top left, work my way to the right, then go back to the top left. I erase in huge patches, so that the new work doesn't run into the old.

My handwriting, though, could stand some improvement.

I've consciously tried to write more script, just to keep the kids using it. It just stuns me that some of them can't write in script, or are losing the ability to read it.

19. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Oct 21, 2007

My writing on the board is usually neat, but when I start writing quickly, it gets sloppy. It is usually straight, but it also has moments where it is slanting downwards. I never was forced to write in cursive after the 6th grade, so by college, I had pretty much forgotten how to write in cursive. I had to reteach myself when I started teaching, because I was expected to teach cursive writing. Now, a few years later, it is what I use almost exclusively.

20. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 21, 2007

I write on the board in a mixture of printing and cursive. I write the same things in a constant color everyday. However, I do not write on the board much as all my notes are done using the smartboard. Each day I write the agenda, date, objectives, homework due, and reminders on the board. I also update my calendar. Like alice, my boardwork is organized, but I could use some improvment on my handwriting.

21. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Oct 21, 2007

If I am pre-writing something on the board (like writing the date and directions or morning work before the kids come in) and I take my time with it, my handwriting is very neat. If I am writing while teaching, it's usually pretty sloppy and crooked since I am writing fast. My kids are always impressed with how fast I can write, but they find my crooked letters funny. I mostly write in print (or a mix of print and cursive) because my cursive sucks. If I take my time, my cursive can look halfway decent. I am starting to write in cursive more so that my fourth graders will be able to read cursive.

I'm trying to take the time and make sure my letters are formed correctly when I write in print. I had one kid copy down his spelling word wrong once. He wrote the word "sam" instead of "saw". I asked him why he had done that and he said he had gotten confused because I had written the "w" wrong because I had made it like an upside-down "m" with the curvy bottom instead of the pointy bottom. Now I am always mindful to make my "w"s with the pointy bottoms!

22. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Oct 21, 2007

When I write on the board, it does usually tend to slant down on the right side. I don't have to write on the board very often though in the computer lab.

When I taught fourth grade, I required that they write in cursive at all times, unless I said otherwise. The current fourth grade teacher doesn't require cursive. Last year many of the teachers started to find that the 5th-8th graders are having a hard time reading cursive when teachers write on the whiteboard. Does anyone else see this happening?

23. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Oct 21, 2007

I'm the other way around. I have retrained the way I hold the pen to write on the board without smearing it, but I can't translate that to the overhead as well. When I try to hold my hand so I don't smear, the overhead writing gets really messy. My board writing is almost perfect but it can drift uphill sometimes.

24. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 21, 2007

Wow. I can't believe some colleges focus on this... there are so many more important parts of teaching.

25. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Oct 22, 2007

i'm a lefty. it took quite a long time for me to learn to master writing on the write board with any kind of neatness.

26. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Oct 22, 2007

I think handwriting and presentation are a very important part of teaching. This was the first fifteen minutes of a 3 hour class, so it wasn't like it was an entire class on handwriting, though some of my fellow teachers could certainly have used that amount of practice.

When did you get your credential? It may be just the age difference between us in thinking about what is important and what is not.

27. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 22, 2007

Yes, there are more important things to focus on. My course was a correspondence course with Zaner-Bloser. It was required for another class, but is on our transcript as a separate course. Here, in Arkansas, Legible handwriting is a framework.

28. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 22, 2007

It's probably an age difference thing, I was certified in 2002. But I also went to a university with a strong social justice philosophy and a focus on teaching practices like inquiry science, constructivist math, writer's and reader's workshops, etc. I also learned a lot about the politics of teaching, about institutional racism, etc. Herbert Kohl and Jonothan Kozal both visited, if that gives you an idea... I never had a single lesson on how to use a teacher's manual, write on a board, grade a test, or a whole myriad of other practical things like that. I could have used all of those things when I started, but I figured it out. I loved my program, but it's not for all people.

29. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 22, 2007

I used a fine tip, gray marker to put permanent lines onto my white board so that I have something to follow. :blush:

30. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 22, 2007

I do have a line maker, but I rarely use it.

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2007

Mine is neat.

Stand with your feet planted about shoulder width apart facing the board. Stand about 6-8 inches? away from board... Put the hand that you don't write with behind your back (bend at elbow so hand is about waist height in back). Write with writing hand....

This is the way my 6th grade teacher wrote, it's how I write. I'm usually VERY straight, and VERY neat.

I've seen other teachers use a pencil to make horizontal lines on the board so they can use as a guide to stay straight. The lines don't erase with the chalk....

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2007

Actually, I can understand it a bit. It takes some time to learn how to write legibly on the board while still keeping an eye on what's going on behind you... developing those "eyes in the back of your head" thing.

And I can see that an elementary teacher would have to "practice what she preaches" when it comes to handwriting.