Writing on Laminated Poster

Discussion in 'General Education' started by OneBerry, Oct 25, 2011.

1. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Oct 25, 2011

Hey. Today I bought a birthdays poster set on clearance at Staples :)thumb:) and I'm excited to use it. If I laminate all the pieces first, then write on them with dry erase marker, will it wipe off? Is there something else I could use to write on them that would stay on all year but wipe off in June? Thanks!

3. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

Oct 25, 2011

Look Barry,

Try on the back first (both sides laminated, right?)

If it is too permanent, maybe some of the smallest post-its or "arrow" post-its will work.

Nice idea...

Kyle

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2011

What if you laminated it first, then covered the front with clear Contac plastic? Then you could peel that off and replace it with a fresh piece next year.

Once I wrote on the back of a laminated poster with red dry erase marker, and it never did come off all the way. It seems like black is the easiest to get off.

5. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Oct 25, 2011

I have a laminated piece of fluorescent green poster board on my bulletin board where I write my objective of the day (week). I've been doing it for a few weeks and the dry erase marks are getting harder to fully erase. I use some spray cleaner every few days. It works, but I'm looking into getting a dry erase board to put up there instead.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2011

You can write on a laminated poster with wipe off marker. If you leave the writing on all year, you will get some 'ghosting' when you finally clean it. I've used the same laminated specials schedule for over five years...

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 25, 2011

I always use either wet-erase markers or wax pencils on my laminated posters. The wet-erase markers don't "ghost" quite as bad as dry erase, but the red and purple ones will some.

My favorite is Sharpie marker. I erase it with a plastic eraser. It's time-consuming, but it does stay put!

8. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Oct 25, 2011

What do yall do when it does leave the "ghosting" on the laminated paper?

I have some stuff that's not laminated, but a clear plastic pocket. I used a blue dry erase Expo on it and it will.. not.. come.. off. I have to get it off and I can't! I'm going to try alcohol on it tomorrow since a colleague swears that words but if it doesn't I'm at a loss...

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 25, 2011

I laminate everthing...then I use a Sharpie--no off brand!--to write on it. When I am through I clean with fingernail polish remover or alcohol. I have never had a problem, but with a cheap marker I have.

10. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Oct 26, 2011

Thanks for all the responses! Maybe I'll do a test run on the back or another laminated paper... I really want to be able to reuse my poster set.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 26, 2011

I wouldn't use dry erase. Wet erase works much better. I've never tried a Sharpie as I thought it would be permanent. Good to know!

12. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Oct 26, 2011

I've been trying to get dry-erase marker ghosts off my white board binders. I've tried windex, 409, rubbing alcohol, vinegar, and Dawn dish soap. Nothing works. Has anyone tried the Expo dry erase cleaner yet? What are wet erase pens and who makes them?

13. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Oct 26, 2011

I wondered the same, until I googled it. Wet erase markers are just vis-a-vis markers! Overhead markers! I guess I just never heard them called wet erase markers before, but of course it makes sense. I don't use those anymore, but I'm pretty sure I have a few floating around my classroom so I'll have to give that a try, too.

14. AKPuffin

AKPuffin Rookie

Oct 26, 2011

I write on mine with dry erase marker and clean it off with a DRY Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It really is magical!

15. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Oct 27, 2011

I use a sharpie if it's going to be up year round or for longer than a few weeks. At the end of the year draw over the sharpie with a dry erase marker and it will erase right off!