Writing observation- help

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mandijyn, Feb 16, 2011.

1. mandijyn

mandijyn Rookie

Feb 16, 2011

:eek:Hello all,

I am a first year teacher looking for a standout writing activity for an observation this Friday. I typically teach a whole group journal writing lesson daily- but I am looking for ideas to spice it up a bit. Does anyone have suggestions or prompts that they have had success with??

Thank you

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2011

Can you try a lesson on voice or word choice? Maybe have the students choose their favorite journal and then spice it up by focusing on each sentence.

Not sure what grade level this is?

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 16, 2011

Why do you need to "spice it up a bit"? Are your normal lessons not good enough? Don't put on a dog and pony show for your observations. It's fake, and most principals can see right through it. Teach whatever you were planning to teach. If you don't think that your normal teaching it good enough, then "spice up" your lessons every day, not just this one day.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2011

I had my observation last week, during a writing period. There was no song and dance, just what we do everyday--a mini-lesson, looking at exemplars, and working on their own writing. It wasn't fancy, but it was authentic and earned high praise from my administrator.

I understand the need to "wow", but I think that it's more important for your administrator to see the everyday reality of your classroom. I like the sound of what you do every day already. Why aren't you comfortable sticking with what you (and the kids) know?

6. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Feb 16, 2011

I agree-- I find that observation time is valuable for me to know how I can improve-- and I can always find room for improvement. Do what you would normally do. You will be more relaxed and confident anyway, which is one of the things your principal is looking for. :)

7. mandijyn

mandijyn Rookie

Feb 19, 2011

I can understand the merit in the advice offered- however as this was a planned observation, I felt like taking the opportunity to "show off" a peak performance.
    (My P does walk through frequently- unplanned for observations and gets to see what we do on a regular basis. I am comfortable with this-)

Let me ask -When you have invited company over to your house for dinner, would you serve what you would make on a typical weekday? Or would you perhaps include some appetizers, a dessert, something extra or special?

I strive to impress, and was looking to showcase my best work- especially in a very competitive job market where I am competing for a position for next year..

It went well by the way- :)

8. bondo

bondo Cohort

Feb 23, 2011

How about focusing on hearing and auditory descriptive words. Have them think of words that describe what they are hearing. They can make new words up to describe sounds that do no have words. Here, you could introduce the literary device onomatopeia. Good luck with your lesson, I am sure you will do great.