Writing numerals 1 to 1000

Discussion in 'General Education' started by letsteach, Mar 5, 2012.

1. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Mar 5, 2012

This year I have had a 'promotion' and part of my new responsibilities is curriculum. One teacher (she teaches grade 2) has her children writing numbers 1 to 1000 as numerals and in words (they are now at 300 to 400 this week). When children have finished their work, they work on their number list. It is used as a 'filler' which in her plan seems to take up quite a bit of time.

I can understand writing some numeral/numbers as words as practice but to one thousand just seems so boring to do. She said the children don't know their numbers but surely this is something they could do at home as homework? Apparently not. Some of the children don't do their homework so the day before the Friday test, she has a spelling test revision lesson which is one whole 45 minute session. On Fridays first thing the spelling test takes 45 minutes (with reflection), the maths test takes 45 minutes and the next 45 minute session is for students to catch up on unfinished work. There is so much curriculum to cover that I think she needs to reorganize her time more productively.

But what do you think of the 1 to 1000 exercise?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2012

I think that you need to sit down with this teacher and discuss her reasoning and research for this activity. There may be things that she understands or has seen work over the years. Then again, it may just be habit.

Students do need to know their numbers both in numeral and word form. However, I'm not sure that I would have students writing their numbers like this in my classroom.