WRITING! need help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by leannwade, Oct 2, 2009.

1. leannwade

leannwade Rookie

Oct 2, 2009

I teach special education. I have K-3. My students have the most difficult time with writing. I am trying to go back to the beginning. I am really struggling though. When they are given a writing assignment they give me blank looks. Any ides, resources, etc?

3. aek471

aek471 Rookie

Oct 2, 2009

We use the writing workshop model designed by Lucy Calkins. It starts kids writing in K, and even addresses how kids can write when they don't know their ABC's! It starts out very simple, having kids just label words in their pictures. It's a lot of modeling and scaffolding. I was a skeptic last year, but it really worked in my classroom. I'm also having difficulties with getting my kids to write this year, and so I'm hoping it works again! Good luck!

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 2, 2009

I have used some pre-reading techniques with my beginners. I would post a picture on the wall. Then, each child would tell me a word that describes the picture. You can adapt this as you move along--tell me a sentence, as story, etc.

5. round stanley

round stanley Companion

Oct 5, 2009

I love Kerpoof Studio, just google for the address, for encouraging writing in the lower grades. The graphics are tremendous and it is easy for kids to write on their pictures. They can make cards, short stories, and even movies. It is free. Just make sure you have money to print in color!