Writing Names

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by map, Sep 17, 2006.

1. map

map Companion

Sep 17, 2006

Do you have students practice writing names on a line or a blank piece of paper? Which is better? In the past we have just let them write on a blank piece of paper but I have noticed that 1st grade teachers are complaining.

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2006

From day one I begin my students with practicing on how to write on line paper. I found in the past that when I switch from unline paper to lined paper, some of my students' handwriting improves greatly! So this year, I began on day one. It's all about modeling, modeling, modeling, and practicing. We have finished week four and most of my kids are writing simple sentances and their name in their lined journals and they are doing a better job than I thought. I have my own journal and I write with them so they can see how I write my letters and where I write in the journal.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 17, 2006

We use lined paper too. If you write on unlined paper don't you notice you can't write very even? I wouldn't expect the children to write even anyway, but any resource available to help them improve their coordination is helpful even if it is as simple as a line.

We have the students sign their names outside the door before they walk into the classroom in the morning (like a roll call). We tell them it is a roll call, but really it is just to have them practice their name all year long. We start with first name then half way through the year we ask them to add their last name.

5. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Sep 17, 2006

We use lined paper. At the beginning of the year I write their name on the first line and second line-they trace the solid lines with their pencils. FOr the next two lines I write the names with dots so they can trace the letters to make their name. We do this for a long time. But finally most of them can write their first name, then we start on the last name,

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2006

I teach them both ways.

7. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2006

I am glad to hear that you are using lined paper. Also do you teach them upper case only with the first letter and then lower case with the rest. I still get some that come to me writing all uppercase letters even though I know the kindergarten teacher shows them the right way.

8. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Sep 17, 2006

I have them write it first letter capital and the rest lower case, as their name is written. It is a very hard habit for them to break writing in all capital letters.

9. Ms.MB

Ms.MB Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

I agree with Lesley. My daughter's Prek teacher showed them to write their names in all capital letters. I've worked with her alot on writing it correctly but she still forgets once in a while.

10. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Sep 17, 2006

Lined paper.

11. bethany1120

bethany1120 Companion

Sep 20, 2006

That's so frustrating! Last year I taught preK, and I taught my kids how to write first letter capital, rest lower case. This year I'm at a different school teaching K and my kids all learned how to write in all caps! It's such a struggle to break them of the habit....

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 20, 2006

Try having the teacher from kindergarden teach the kids "mommy and baby" letters instead of big and small or capital and lower case.

13. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Sep 20, 2006

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom would support this concept.