Writing mini-lessons

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by TeachtheWorld, Jan 11, 2010.

1. TeachtheWorld

TeachtheWorld Companion

Jan 11, 2010

I'm looking for detailed writing mini-lessons for 1st grade. I'm ready to pull my hair out. If I had to pick a weakness in my teaching, it would be writing. I have looked at several things online and it's just not what I need. This class is very low and it's hard to get more than 2 sentences from them. I also have several that I cannot break away from just making their stories one lllooooooonnnnnnggg sentence. It's a great story, but there's no punctuation. I'm just not good at the whole mini-lesson thing. Can you please help???:confused:

3. SacTeacher

SacTeacher Rookie

Jan 13, 2010

My class is low as well. We do lots of graphic organizers and oral rehearsal. So a writing lesson would look like this:
    Me on overhead paper with 3 boxes - where, who, what - Topic Journey. I say I am going to write about a journey I would like to take. In my first box I will draw where I want to go ( I draw) and I will write 1 or 2 reminder words (write Disney Land) Model sounding out, invented spelling, word wall whatever you use. Turn off the overhead and then they do their 1st box on papers just like overhead. Then they put pencils down and watch you for next box, repeat for all. This is a long process so you could do one box per day or all boxes at once. Next is oral rehearsal. They bring their papers to the carpet and one at a time, look at the picture and say a sentence. I have them all start the same i.e. "On my journey I will go to______" then we count the number of words in the sentence. It is very drawn out, saying it over and over, writing the number of words as a reminder, etc. This can be broken into mini sessions too. Last they go back and write the sentence, if they are really low or new to writing then rehearse 1 sentence then write it, rehearse next then write, etc. You can also start by just modeling the whole process and have them copy you sentence the 1st few times. Not sure if this was what you were looking for and this process is VERY long but the writing does improve quickly.

4. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jan 23, 2010

Every Monday our first grade classes write about their weekend. We call it the Weekend Wonder.
    I did lots of things this weekend. First, I _____________.
    Next I, ________________. Last, I _________________.
    I has a fun weekend.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 24, 2010

I could have written this post, and I teach grade 3! Be proud of those 2 sentences. Learning where and when to use punctuation takes time, and if they are not strong readers it is even more difficult. Give them cloze organizers to help them begin to see sentences. Emphasize this in your morning message. And relax... we'll practice it in grade 3, too!

6. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Jan 25, 2010