Writing letters to the president...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by aim123, Jan 15, 2011.

1. aim123

aim123 Rookie

Jan 15, 2011

I'm having my sixth graders write letters to the president about what sources of energy he should urge Americans to use (alternative sources vs. nonrenewable sources). They're so excited, and I want this to be a great experience for them.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get a letter back? I can't find anything on the white house official website. Any tips?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 15, 2011

I had a class write to Clinton when he was in office and we got a whole package back with a signed (who knows if it was auto signed or actually hand signed) letter that referenced our letters to him, photos, other info. It was great. I kept the letter framed on the wall in my room.

I think you will most likely receive something in return. Good luck.

4. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jan 15, 2011

I had my kids do this when we homeschooled. It was right after Sept. 11th. The President Bush actually wrote back to my daughter and mentioned things in her letter.

5. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jan 16, 2011

I have never had students write, but I think it is a great idea!

6. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jan 16, 2011

My students wrote individual letters last year. A couple of them received letters back that discussed what concerns they had mentioned in their letters. Not sure what happened to the rest.

7. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2011

I think Dubya had my post pulled!

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 17, 2011

I have a friend who has the job of writing the letters back and stamping the President's signature and seal on it. A very few of the letters actually make it through to the President, but they do all make it through to his team, and they keep him informed of the general tone and of any notable letters. Otherwise, all he'd have time to do is sit and answer letters from kids, and he does have important things to do, like, oh, running the country. My friend loves reading and answering the letters, though!