Writing Lesson Question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by 2ndGradeSub, Apr 29, 2007.

1. 2ndGradeSub

2ndGradeSub Rookie

Apr 29, 2007

Hello everyone,
    I have a question, I am currently covering a maternity leave in a 3rd grade class. However, my concern is the writing period. I feel so dumb, I am totally confused... I have such a hard time teaching mini-lessons at the beginning of each writing period each day. I do try to focus on what I notice in my students writing, but once i'm done doing a mini-lesson and have students writing, what do I do when some are finished before others??? Am I suppose to have a couple writing topics they could choose from when they are done with for instance: the poems we are working on for the week, or a narrative we are working for the week???? I do not know if i'm making any sense.
    Would it be possible if anyone could send me a lesson plan that shows a sample week of a writing period. So maybe I could get an idea of what a Mon-Fri. writing block should consist of.
    Thanks.

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 29, 2007

If students finish earlier than others then they just start a new piece. Writing workshop is never done, I tell them! They choose their own topics and each write at their own pace. Sometimes we do focused writing, like next week we are writing how-to stories, so when they finish with that, then they will just start something new.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2007

One of the great things about writer's workshop is that everyone gets to work at their own pace. While some kids are still working on their draft, others are publishing. Just like Miss Kirby said, once they are done with their writing, they may begin their next one.

Just wanted to quickly share this idea. One thing I plan to do for my 5th grade class is have them create a memory box. They take a shoe box, decorate it, and store special items in the box. If they need an idea for a story, they just look in their memory box. Items may be stuff animals, photos, toys, medal, jearsy, anything that has a special memory to them.

5. 2ndGradeSub

2ndGradeSub Rookie

Apr 29, 2007

So as students are writing on topics of their choice...what are they drafting and taking to the next step? Would this be a focus writing piece, or would they be drafting, revising and publishing a writing on their own chosen topic? That is what I am slightly confused on.
    Also, the idea of the shoebox is really creative!

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Apr 29, 2007

One thing you might do is put together a (long) list of journal prompts. That way, if a student has completed his/her assignment, he/she can look to the journal prompts to get them started on the next piece.
    Alternatively, this site: http://www.manatee.k12.fl.us/sites/elementary/palmasola/writingindex.htm has tons of writer's workshop stuff!
    and finally,
    http://www.teachersfirst.com/lessons/writers/index.html is a site that will help you through the writer's workshop experience, step by step.

7. Texteach

Texteach Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

I have my students "Take Out the Trash" in their writing journals. This means that they need to write about anything that happened recently that is still on their mind. It is fun to say, "oh, you are done? Great! Why don't you go "take out the trash" then?" I urge them to write at least a page and illustrate it if they have time. Usually, at the end of the day, I let volunteers read their journals to the class.

8. tchrmom23

tchrmom23 Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

Great idea! You should read Wilfred Gordan McDonald Partridge before you introduce the memory box. I love that book.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2007

Well, I already introduced the memory box, but I will look for that book. I know what book you are talking about. That would have been nice to read. It's not too late though!!! Thanks for that idea.