Writing Lesson Ideas

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by nyteacher01, Sep 9, 2010.

1. nyteacher01

nyteacher01 Companion

Sep 9, 2010

I would really like to teach writing better this year than I have in the past. Can you please tell me how you start the year for writing? What lessons do you teach? Thanks so much for your help.

3. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2010

I teach narrative writing first because they enjoy the creativity.

Figure out how you want to teach it. Whole class? Small group? Station work? I use Writer's Workshop with mini-lessons at the beginning of the lesson. There are some places on the Internet that explain how to set it up. Sometimes my mini-lesson actually takes the entire hour. Sometimes they just want to work on their stories for an hour and not have a mini-lesson. Sometimes it's more directed as far as the prompt goes, and sometimes it's very self-selected.

Go to Writer's Fix on the Internet. Lots of ideas there for lessons.

4. Riley20

Riley20 New Member

Oct 5, 2010

I teach an LA block that lasts about 80 minutes. I divide my days up so that about 3 days a week focus on reading and about 2 days a week focus on writing.

I also do Writer's Workshop, which the kids love. This year I am using a lot of mini lessons from "Teaching the Qualities of Writing". The first few weeks of school, we worked through the writing process together, while students worked on a short piece of writing. Now, the students move through the writing process on their own. I have a wheel with all of the steps written on it (Prewriting, Drafting, Revising, Editing, Teacher Conference, Publishing, Sharing) and students move a clothespin with their name on it to the appropriate section of the wheel. It has been greatly effective, so far. Right now, the kids are writing about anything they want. I will focus writing a few times in the year on personal narratives, poetry, letters, and informational writing.

Good luck!

5. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Oct 5, 2010

Riley,

How long does it take a typical student to go from pre-writing all the way to publishing?

What are the kids writing about each time?

Also, Riley and Others,

At my school there is a HUGE emphasis on writing short answer replies (for our state testing)... so creative writing takes a LONG break on the back burner during the year. Our scores need to improve drastically, and that means working more on test prep. Any ideas on how to incorporate this type of writing practice without having it do it always whole group and without boring them to death?? ... unfortunately it's essentially mandatory from our principal...

6. wendy 31

wendy 31 Rookie

Oct 21, 2010

We use the four square method for organization. At the first of the year we teach how to write a good paragraph with four square. By the end of the year the four square method is the foundation for their five paragraph essays.

I also use Evan Moore's daily 6 traits writing as a mini lesson.

Does your state have a writing site that has a rubric and examples of essays that have been scored with that rubric? We refer to those examples as we teach each trait.

Barry Lane has some very good books. See if one of your fellow faculty members have one for you to peruse. Good Luck!