Writing Journal

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by sundayn, Oct 12, 2007.

1. sundayn

sundayn Rookie

Oct 12, 2007

My teammate and I have tried a weekly writing journal where the children choose from a number of prompts. However, we are having trouble getting the students to write thoughtful responses. We would like to use this for a writing grade. Does anyone have any advice for how to make this work?

3. rainyday

rainyday Rookie

Jan 13, 2008

Have to tried writing organizers? There are heaps of stuff online about these and also templates for you. They are great to help the children plan their writing.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 13, 2008

I was doing this with our current events journals. I modeled responses a few times, because they were not responding thoughtfully. It has been much better, but kids this age are sort of at a rush through it stage, so I find discussions a better way of getting at their "deep thoughts."

My kids do journal writing daily on their own topics. I only assign one prompt once a week or so.

5. missidy

missidy Rookie

Jan 27, 2008

I've seen a teacher use small art reprints (eg. Van Gogh, Monet). If the student didn't have any ideas to write about (or weren't interested in prompts offered), they would choose an art card and describe what they saw and how it made them feel. Young kids always came up with loads of writing. This ended up being so open-ended and more-abled students could be pushed to write a subjective piece, where less-abled could focus on the objective (colours, objects etc.)

6. blue-eyed mom

blue-eyed mom Companion

Jan 27, 2008

Modeling still works the best. So many kids don't know how to write thoughtful responses until they see them over and over. Whatever the subject, give them plenty of examples of your writing.

7. loves3rdgrade

loves3rdgrade Rookie

Feb 22, 2008

I have daily writing responses:
    Monday is: 1st paragraph about your high of the weekend
    2nd paragraph about your low of the weekend
    (1st sentence-Main idea of paragraph 3 supporting details and then 1 tie together or wrap up sentence)

Tuesday- Free write (poems, some lyrics, etc)
    Wednesday- One paragraph about their feelings for the week
    Thursday- One paragraph about their SSR book
    Friday- 1st paragraph- Most favorite part of the week (same procedures for Monday)
    2nd paragraph- What they need to improve on (same procedure for Monday)

I hope this helps. The kids look forward to the topics of the week!At the beginning of the year I really practiced with the kids how to correctly write a paragraph. I also work independently with the students who still need the guidance.