Writing Homework and Writing Centers

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by msj5ny, May 13, 2009.

1. msj5ny

msj5ny Rookie

May 13, 2009

Hi all!

As the end of the year gets closer, I've been thinking about what I will do differently next year. Something that I need to address differently next year is my writing homework. I believe my coteacher and I started off the year requiring one paragraph, then at some point increased to three, and had planned to increase to five. This was every night but was read on hectic days.

My principal has brought up to me that he thinks that this is excessive. So I am considering keeping with my 1-3-5 gradual paragraph increase but perhaps not have writing homework every night.

I'm thinking they can work on the same writing piece all week or revisit certain writing pieces throughout the year to work on editing and/or revising.

Can you please share how often you give writing homework and what your writing requirements are? I struggle because I want to have high standards but I need to keep it manageable. I haven't been doing a very good job of that though. :unsure:

Writing Centers

In regards to writing centers, I already know that there will not be as much writing instruction as I'd like or as my kids need. So, I need to have centers that are as effective as a writing center can be and somewhat enjoyable. It would be great also if they didn't add to my workload that I can barely manage anyway....;) Any suggestions?

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  3. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

May 21, 2009

I rarely give writing howework and when I do it is normally to finish a rough or final draft at home if we run out of class time. We normally do journals and/or reading response entries on a daily basis and then have one larger writing piece per week from the basal or as genre study. My grade level requirements are at least one writing grade per week.

4. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

May 21, 2009

I may start a writing fluency practice next year in which my students have a couple of minutes to write a paragraph and then we count the number of words written.