writing! help!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by love2teach, Dec 6, 2005.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Dec 6, 2005

Okay, I admit it...i need help with teaching writing! I used to follow the process in the reader...but new school, new programs...what we have is not that great...i would like to supplement.....but where do I start? what do I do??

first grade!

3. TennesseTeacher

TennesseTeacher Rookie

Dec 6, 2005

I don't know a lot about 1st grade, but I've used this in 3rd and 4th. Friends have used it in 2nd. Anyway, I use a web and colored pens. Students draw one red box with three connecting boxes in blue. They write 1 word for the topic in the red box. They write 1 word in each blue box to describe the red topic. Then they turn these into a 5 sentence paragraph (using the red word for a conclusion sentence as well as the topic sentence). Like I said, I don't know about 1st grade , but you may be able to adapt it.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 7, 2005

TennesseTeacher, this would be Steps to Writing, yes?

5. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 7, 2005

In first grade at my school we pretty much follow our standards. We first teach them they have something to say. We teach ideas. We do it by readind several books and make a big chart that says "authors write about....(it has 4 sections) people they know, places they have been, things they like to do, things they know about. It took us about a month to get through this. They fill in each section orally with the whole class as we do the chart...people they know grandma, teacher, friends etc

I don;t feel like this is making sense so sorry if it isn't.

Then they start making 5 page books. They choose the topic and write 5 things about the topic. If they don't have 5 things to say then they don't know enough about it. I got all of this from a book called primarily writing off of QEP-its really great and my 1st graders love to write. Before this book I didn't know where to start.

6. TennesseTeacher

TennesseTeacher Rookie

Dec 7, 2005

TeacherGroupie,
    Yes, this teaches the steps to writing. You capitalized it so is that a program? If so, I am not familiar with it. This is just a made up idea I use.

7. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Dec 7, 2005

I think you mean "Step Up to Writing" It is a fabulous program that uses red, yellow, and green (stoplight) to teach writing! This is our first year using it at our school and it has been very successful! Our students are writing great paragraphs and essays. We use it in all grades...even kindergarten!!! Check it out!

http://www.stepuptowriting.com/

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 7, 2005

The first grade teacher I worked with last year made class books. Each week they would chose a topic like "If I was president I would ____" "My favorite toy is ___" etc. Each student would make a page and illustrate it, then she would sew them together with yarn to make a book. At the end of the year, each student got to keep one of the books.

9. pfnw

pfnw Rookie

Dec 11, 2005

Dear Tenn,

I teach 6th grade, but used to teach 2nd. I suggest you get a book by Chris Van Allsburg called The Mysteries of Harris Burdick. (I hope I spelled it correctly) It is a wonderful picture book with one sentence story starters. You could use this to spur them to write what ever comes to mind.

Pfnw

10. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2005

11. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Dec 20, 2005

I have a question about writing too. I have been teaching begining paragraphs to my 2nd graders. The last topic we wrote about was things I like to do in the snow. We have worked on using transistion words and details. When I was grading them, I would accept "Here are three things I like to do in the snow" as a good closing sentence for 2nd graders. One of the teachers told me that this was not a closing sentence, but a 2nd topic sentence. Is this not acceptable? What would be an appropriate closing sentence?

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 20, 2005

The easiest way to teach it is to have them reword their topic sentence. Ex: That is why I have so much fun in the snow. There are lots of things I love to do in the snow. Snow is cold but so much fun to play in.

13. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2005

You can read lots of books with different closings. (surprise endings, circular endings etc) Then you can model making a story together with the class and have them write the ending all together. Then keep doing this and I bet their endings will improve