writing folders

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by natenatmom, Aug 16, 2007.

1. natenatmom

natenatmom Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

Do any of you use writing folders for your first graders and if so, how do you organize them? I have 3-ring binders for all the kids and here's what I was thinking of doing... in the front is a page protector with a writing checklist on one side and a phonics chart on the other. Then I was going to use 3 manilla folders with holes punched on one side (so they can be folded open to put papers in). One will be for ideas/prewriting, one for work in progress, and one for work ready for conferencing. Then their published work can go in the very back behind the 3 folders. Does that make sense? Is there a better way to do this still using the 3-ring binders I already have for them?

3. sarbea

sarbea Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

Hi,

I am in the process of trying to formulate the same thing. This is my 1st year teaching a 1, 2 combo class. I was also going to use a 3 ring binder, but use colored tagboard hole punched to separate the sections. I was wondering if I need to use the big lined paper with the middle lines for the first graders, and regular lined paper for the 2nd graders. In the back of each 3-ring bind I but a plastic folder (hole-punched) to keep their best stuff in.

Any suggestions?

4. natenatmom

natenatmom Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

I would use the primary lined paper for the first graders for sure. I have very few students who write small enough and neatly enough to use regular lined paper.

What are you planning to do between your tagboard dividers? That's my hangup and why I came up with the manilla folders in there. They need to put their ideas and work in progress in the notebook but I don't want to be punching holes in everything. I'm sure someone has a better idea than that though. All the writing notebooks I've found online seem to be geared towards older kids. Are you planning to punch holes in their papers and put them behind the tagboard in the right section? I guess if you use regular lined paper you wouldn't have to punch holes. But I'll tell you, first graders won't be able to handle opening those 3-ring binders and putting their papers in themselves. They'd be snapping their fingers in the rings and ripping through the holes! I don't even want to think about it! lol

5. sarbea

sarbea Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

I was just thinking about punching holes in the primary lined paper and putting it in there before they wrote, they could just write with the paper in the folder. Would that work?

6. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

I am using a 2 pocket folder with prongs. On one side will be a green dot for works in progress and the other side a red dot for finished work. In the middle (in sheet protectors) I will have them add thematic words as we go.

7. sarbea

sarbea Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

I am using Open Court Reading and they suggest a notebook with several sections, I can't remember them all, but it seems like their are 4 or so; 1. Responses to Guided Reading. 2. Ideas 3.Works in Progress 4. New Vocabulary 5. Portfolio

Seems like a lot for 1st grade....but then again Iv'e never taught it. The green and red dot seems simpler.

8. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Aug 16, 2007

I used the Open COurt notebook they suggested for our students, but they wanted us to put it in a binder with those 5 sections. I didn't really like it much. It was much to bulky and the kiddos papers would tear from the binder holes. This year I am going to just use a 3 prong folder with one side saying "Work in Progress" and the otherside saying "Completed Work." I'll also have a checklist and something else in the sheet protector in the middle like love_reading said. Then on Friday afternoon I will pick up their folders to grade their papers and then they will be place in a portfolio (again another folder) where I will keep their writing assignments throughout the school year.

9. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2007

I do a 3 ring folder with pockets and it worked well. I do what others have said. We put a green dot on one pocket for "Working" side and a red dot for the "Finished" side. I use loose writing paper for writing workshop which the kids get everyday before they write. That way, when time is up, if they have gone through the whole writing process, they can put their writing in the red side. Or they can put their piece in the green side. That way it is really easy for them to refer to later if necessary. I do not collect their writing. Some times my kids wanted to go back and add more to a piece or get another idea from an older piece so its right there. At the end of the writing unit, which is usually at the end of the month, they celebrate one published piece, we display it and then the rest is sent home for sharing. Then they start with a clean folder at the beginning of the next unit. Each published piece is displayed until we celebrate the next. Then the old one is put in their portfolios. So basically they have 10 fully published pieces by June.
    I will also have pocket protectors in the 3 rings for an editing checklist, the "Map Of My Heart" sheet to generate ideas and a portable word wall. I think that is it for now. :)

10. sarbea

sarbea Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

What great ideas! I think I will do a 3-pronged folder with sheet protectors. Much simpler....and will let them publish 1 writing a unit/month and clear it out.

Thanks!!