Writing down homework

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by snickydog, Jul 23, 2009.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 23, 2009

I teach first and we have agendas the students are to write their homework in. It's never much to write, since we do a weekly homework packet plus a math sheet. When do you write down homework? Is there a procedure that works well for you? I did it near the end of the day last year, but I've heard of people doing it first thing in the morning.

Also, how long does it take your students to write their homework down and get packed up?

3. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

We have agendas, too. But I just staple in a homework sheet since we never had time at the end of the day.
    At the school before this one, I had the kids write their own HW down. I just made sure they had plenty of space/lines and kept it simple.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 23, 2009

I personally think that it is a bit much to expect a 1st grader to copy down homework into an agenda -- but that is just my opinion. I agree with the "staple it in" idea. Alternatively, print the assignments on a sheet of labels and just stick them in (though stapling sounds infinitely easier.) Developmentally,copying from the board onto paper is a skill one would generally expect of a 1st grader. I'm not saying it can't be done -- only that it would be a huge struggle for many, and it doesn't really seem to be the best use of instructional time. I'd rather use that time for teaching.

5. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

True. It is very hard for 2nd Graders to do as well. Even if I choose to let my students write it down, I definetely don't do it at the beginning of the year. Stapling is probably a good bet for 1st Grade...plus then you don't have to go around and check behind them and make sure they copied it correctly!

6. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Jul 23, 2009

I do it near the end of the day just in case my plans for the day change (for example, if we didn't get to finish something in math or if the students need extra practice with something). We copy down homework right when the kids come back from their afternoon specials. I don't like leaving it until the very end of the day in case I get busy and lose track of time.

In the beginning of the year I've learned to leave LOTS of time for copying down homework because they've never had to do it before and I like to make sure that they have everything they need to bring home with them. But once they get used to the routine it only takes them probably about 5 minutes for most of kids to get their homework copied (except for those few who take a little longer), and then another 5 minutes at the end of the day to get packed up.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 23, 2009

I had my kids use their planners at the end of the day, but even that was difficult for the beginning of the year. Luckily, they didn't have to write much.

For first grade, I think using a typed weekly sheet would be the best way to go. You could make it into a mini newsletter with notes and spelling list for the week.

8. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

We use agendas, too and I have done it two ways and both worked well for the class that I used it with. There has been years that we wrote it at the end of the day and there has been years that we wrote it down after finishing each subject(math was written when we finished math and so on). There are some that it takes longer to copy, but I usually start at the beginning of the year with the writing it down and it has not been a big problem. Last year we were provided with a chart that looks like one of their pages and I put it on a small bulletin board and they copy from there.

9. mclaugcr

mclaugcr Companion

Jul 24, 2009

I'm not sure why this never occurred to me to do with my fourth graders! It's how I had to write homework in middle school and high school. :banghead: Why didn't I think of this earlier? It would have made my life so much easier the last couple of years. :)

10. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 24, 2009

I also have my class write it down as we do it. There are days when HW changes from what I thought. If they were really confused about a Math lesson, I won't give it for HW. I will give a spiral review page of something they need to practice anyway.

11. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Jul 24, 2009

My students copy their HW each morning. They enter the room between 7:15-7:25, depending on when they arrive and they are marked tardy at 7:30). They have until 7:45 to follow their morning procedures: unpack, hand in HW and notes for me, copy their HW (leave on their desks for me to check/stamp), and complete 5 morning work math problems. Copying it in the morning has always worked for me, it's the only way I've done it. I personally think I would have a hard time having them copy it at the end of the day.

12. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 24, 2009

My 5th graders write down homework either immediately upon getting the assignment (especially in math when they have specific problem #s) and/or at the end of the day. In 1st/2nd, i had daily spelling homework that everyone received a copy of, and I did weekly homework packets to simplify things. On the rare occasion that a student had additional homework, I would write it down or have them do it if they could do it quickly. The packets took awhile to assemble on Thursdays, but it was sooo nice to pass them out on Friday and know that I didn't have to worry about anything for the whole week.

13. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 24, 2009

My students copy their hw down in the morning as well. After their morning work is complete I put hw on the screen. Towards the end of the year I give the hw verbally just to get them prepared for middle school.

14. luv2teach1st

luv2teach1st Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

We also use agendas, but for writing their homework in. On Monday and Tuesday, they do 2 times each, Wednesday - Sentences for 5 of their spelling words, Thursday - Pre-test.

I send home a letter explaining the homework routine, and an example how it should be done. Sometimes I may add a worksheet or activity for them to do, in which case I send home a homework sheet for the week.

Last year, I tried having my students copy down their homework, and it was just to difficult for some of them. It took them for ever to do.

15. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

My students copy their homework while I do a read aloud. When they are done copying they come sit by my feet to hear the story. This ensures that every student finishes AND the room is silent.