Writing conferences

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by teacher82A, Sep 21, 2007.

1. teacher82A

teacher82A Rookie

Sep 21, 2007

Every year I have the same problems with writing conferences. I try not to spend more than 10 minutes with each student, but it still takes forever to get through everyone. I give (what I think is enough) work to the others to do while I'm conferencing, but am constantly being interrupted or having to stop because the class is becoming too noisy. I've taken away recess and don't know what else to do. Anyway, I tend to combine revising and proofreading during the one conference. They also have the option to conference with a peer in addition to the teacher conference. They usually have only one week to complete a writing assignment (pacing guide), with the final copy due on Fridays. I was just curious as to what everyone else does during conference time and if it seems that there's not enough time to get through everything.

Also, how do you explain to students that their sentences are not complete? Every time I try to explain, they have no clue what I'm talking about.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2007

Do you have to fit everyone in one day? I would try to space them out over a few days. As far as the incomplete sentences go, have you showed them examples of complete and incomplete sentences?

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 21, 2007

Can you conference in small groups? For example if 3 or 4 students are having the same issue in their writing, you can meet with them all at the same time. As far as the noise, you just have to reinforce your expectations during that time. My students know not to interrupt me (they wouldn't want their conference interrupted would they?), and I have posted the expectations for them during that time on chart paper.

5. teacher82A

teacher82A Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

I don't try to conference with everyone in one day, but I do try to have all the conferences done by Thursday so that the final copies will be ready for Friday. I still can't get done though. I still feel it's too early to let them just revise/proofread on their own or with a just a partner.
    Also, I have done sentence lifting, but they still don't seem to get it.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2007

Have them work with a partenr to do a preliminary spelling check and to read aloud to each other to make sure it makes sense. Then have them list their name on a chart for you to know who's ready for a conference. Then they should go write new entries in their writers' notebooks while they are waiting for you to get to them.

7. blue678

blue678 Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

I too find it hard to meet with them all individually. I am now trying to go around and informally "conference" with them while they move through the revise/edit stages. Not sure if this counts as a teacher conference, but it might help allievate some of the stress and take less time... I've given them checklists with very specific questions that they have to answer for the revise and edit stages to help the writing process. Also I have a chart with all the stages in the writing process and the kids move clothespins with their names on each time they move from say "brainstorm" to "first draft."

Hope this helps :)