Writing Conclusion Paragraph

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ms.k, Jan 21, 2007.

1. ms.k

ms.k Rookie

Jan 21, 2007

Our writing goal in fifth grade is at least five great paragraphs on one topic. Even though we've been writing since the first day of school, I'm still having a difficult time conveying the conclusion paragraph. We've discussed relating it back to the topic paragraph and supporting paragraphs. We've talked about the conclusion being the ribbon that ties it all together (and other analogies). Can you all share your great ideas? Some of my kids still look at me as if I'm speaking another language.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 21, 2007

I tell them that the conclusion paragraph is a great place to put personal opinions about the topic. This gets them to refer back to the topic in a general way.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2007

Have you ever used the sandwich analogy for writing? The top and bottom layers (first and last paragraphs) are both BREAD- therefore the last paragraph echoes what the first paragraph laid out, adding in personal opinion or feelings/reflection is a great way to make it different than the first paragraph. The paragraphs in between are 'the meat' and 'juicy' details of what you're discussing....I always thought of essays as paragraph one I tell you what I'm going to tell you. Then I use the next three paragraphs telling you. Then I conclude with telling you what I told you!!:D :D

5. ms.k

ms.k Rookie

Jan 21, 2007

Love the sandwich idea! Thanks - I will use that tomorrow.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

7. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Jan 23, 2007

Every conclusion should have a memory, feeling, hope or wish, or a decision. I have my students choose 2 of those to add in their conclusion.

Mnemonic:
    My Father Has Dandruff
    M-Memory
    F-Feeling
    H-Hope or wish
    D-Decision

Clear Conclusion Words:
    All in all, Certainly, clearly, definitely, in conclusion, in fact, obviously, surely, to sum up, and truly

For example: In a paragraph about going to six flags:

Obviously I love going to Six Flags. I'll never forget the time we went and didn't have to wait in any lines all day. I hope we get to go again soon.

8. ms.k

ms.k Rookie

Jan 23, 2007

Thanks for more great ideas! I did implement the sandwich yesterday...something so simple works!

9. logan_morgan

logan_morgan Rookie

Jan 23, 2007

I was having the same struggles with my 6th grade students and I found an online resource that explained and gave examples of different types of conclusions. I typed them up and we used them as a resource and their conclusions were, surprisingly, not awful - which they usually are.
    http://www.kimskorner4teachertalk.com/writing/sixtrait/organization/conclusions.html

This site gave me some good information that I adapted for my classroom instruction. I have some REALLY LOW kids and the examples helped a lot