Writing Centers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 6, 2009

I'm looking to make a writing center this year, and I'd love ideas on what to add. These are the items I've had in the past:

Writing pencils
    Pink erasers
    Glue sticks
    White-out pens
    Scotch tape
    Scissors (I keep these in an art box, but you might want them in the Writing Center)
    Staples/Staplers
    Markers, thin
    Highlighters
    Sticky notes/post-its
    Pencil sharpeners
    Ink pads
    Stamps
    Gel pens
    Colored pencils
    Stencils
    Glitter

And then of course, 'fancy' paper with lines copied on them so kids can 'publish' when approved.

I'd also like to create a reference library of sorts when doing creative writing. These are the books I've got at the moment, but would love more ideas:

Dictionary
    Thesaurus
    Rhyming dictionary
    Atlas (for locations)
    Book of baby names (for character names)

Anything that you might have at your centers that isn't here?

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 6, 2009

Great list, the only thing I can think of right now is a couple of journals, one for you and one for your student. I think it's important for children to see us write and share.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 6, 2009

Absolutely, Hoot!

I'm going to add books of flower meanings and dream interpretations. Maybe a book on myths and legends-something more like a reference rather than an actual history book?

5. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 6, 2009

What about different graphic organizers?

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 6, 2009

LOVE that idea, MissJill.

I forgot I wanted to make a hanging file folder container full of different ones.

Here's a list of ones to print out if anyone wants to do something similar:

http://www.realclassroomideas.com/65.html

7. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 6, 2009

Oo thanks for the link!

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 6, 2009

Baby name book? That's a good idea. :) Something that's never crossed my mind.

Hmm, I am now going to think REALLY hard (I need to, anyway, to get my writing resources set back up nicely). I acquire paint samples from Lowe's/Home Depot for color word names. Additionally, I make my students S.W.A.T. binders- Student Writers Avoid Tackiness, and it's a reference. It has a lot of different sheets from Melissa Forney's Writing Superstars back. I also include pictures for writing because students write about them every once in a while- and I have books like cookbooks and floor plans for houses. I also have photos of old houses because that develops their mystery writing skills. I also photocopy (or keep) examples of former students' writing to display for my students (and show them my writing often as well). Books like The Mysteries of Harris Burdick are also in that area because I want students to develop creative thinking/inference skills.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 6, 2009

Great ideas!

I'll start collecting pictures out of magazines, and make a binder of persons, places and things-a tab for each.

I also love the idea of great writing samples. Any idea if there are any on the web? I have none at the moment...

I like the idea of paint samples and colors. I have a huge color ring I made up of paint samples-I punched a hole in the corner and put them on a book ring-but it was for art. I never thought of using it for writing.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 7, 2009

I wonder if I could ever be motivated enough to scan any of my students' examples. Some are AMAZING!!

I just had a thought. These are a few kids typed a few years ago, but a few also aren't finished. Scroll to the bottom- there are a few links that say "Jasztalville Authors Over the Years". I LOVED Jonathan's story, though it was never done.
    http://teachingvision.org/readingwriting/

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 7, 2009

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 7, 2009

Old calendars are wonderful.

Jem, I know this child's parents are amazed with all you're doing for their child.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 7, 2009

Thanks, Hoot. I hope so. They are very encouraging, but I still feel like I'm not doing enough. It's scary to be this accountable. Not that I don't want to be accountable, but imagine if your Principal checked in with you every single day about where your students were. Talk about pressure!!

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2009

But the great thing is that with ONE student you WILL know where she is/how she is progressing at all times...You have freedom along with that responsibility to really individualize instruction, push and go deeper into content area than you might in a traditional classroom with 20 or more kiddos.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 8, 2009

I just thought of something else to add-I was browsing the Mardel site because of that coupon another poster put up, and they have multi-cultural blank face patterns. I'm going to get some of those, and I'm trying to find some whole body ones. Students could actually draw the face/make the body of their characters, so they are more 'real' to them.

16. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 8, 2009

Jem,
    I found a cute wooden treasure chest at Joanne Fabric supersatore a few years ago. I don't know if they'd still be available though.

17. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 8, 2009

I'd respond to whatever she wrote every day (like reading response journals, etc.)! :) You are VERY fortunate to have one student. I think that will help her to soar!

18. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 8, 2009

little-I saw those yesterday. I got a tip about a guy in the area that makes boxes as a hobby and might donate one. I'm going to try to hunt him down this weekend...

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 13, 2009

Ok, I'm adding a typewriter to this. Someone just offered one on our freecycle, and I'm thinking that would be a really cool 'tool' for some kids to use.

20. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

Envelopes for writing letters?

21. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2009

I have a quote dictionary among my writing books. It has quotes sorted by author and topic. I also have a French, Spanish, and German dictionary.