Writing Center

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by brandi0718, Aug 30, 2009.

1. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Aug 30, 2009

I am in need of HELP!!!! PLEASE! I have a writing center, but I don't know what to have the kids to do....? The beginning of school is the hardest for me..... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP! :dizzy:

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2009

During morning message, I would model writing something like a letter or maybe a list. Then when introducing the writing center, tell the kids that is one of the things they can do. I put fancy pens and pencils in the center.
    During morning message I might try a different style, like writing a story, and add that to the things they can write in the writing station.
    Since I gradually build stamina in stations, it is okay for me to have only one option to start with, then build with more options as the time gets longer.

4. learningstill

learningstill Rookie

Sep 1, 2009

Have them use stamps, stencils, colored pencils, magic erase mini boards, etc to write words around the room, rhyming words, alphabet. Keep it simple and fun.

5. ncteacher

ncteacher New Member

Sep 1, 2009

I have my students do the same as Lynn. We start with lists, letters, and stories. I am also having children copy a familiar poem from the week and illustrating a picture to go with it to work on handwriting. My students use crayons, fancy pens, colored pencils and later in the year markers.

6. PocketfuloCntrs

PocketfuloCntrs Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

Start with activities using the children's names. Take a photo of each child, glue it onto pocketchart cards, write the child's name next to it, and laminate it. For a writing activity the children can write the names on a list titled "My Friends at School".

Provide a variety of materials to write with - colored pencils, markers, pens, crayons, pencils and different sizes and colors of paper.

Pam
    Pocketful of Centers

7. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Sep 2, 2009

Thank yall so much!