Writing Center

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by prinjess82, Aug 10, 2008.

1. prinjess82

prinjess82 Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I am trying to find ideas for a kindergarten writing center. I want activities that will enhance my kids writing (handwriting and knowledge) that can be practiced independently. I want my kids to "like" writing center. All i have write now is paper, clipboards and picture dictionaries. Mid year I add white boards but still any kind of gmaes or ideas to enhance it would be great. Thnaks!

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2008

*Envelopes
    *Mailbox
    *Stickers that look like stamps (after you do some modeling)
    *You might even preaddress the envelope with everything but the names

*Magic Erase Boards
    *Pre-made books (nice texture paper covers, spiral machine to spiral bound empty pages) for them to write whatever they want in them

4. devama

devama Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I am going to make some jars with sand/rice/whatever and letters then sight words hidden in them. They will have to turn the jars (that are hot glued SHUT) to "find" the letters/words then write them. I am going to put seasonal word wall folders in the center. I will post classmates' names to copy practice. I will put (washable) fingerpaint in a ziploc that they can trace letters on. Some weeks I might put shaving cream on the table for tracing/writing letters in. Even different paper and writing utensil choices spruce it up. I ask parents to donate the front of old greeting cards so kids can write on the back or make a card with them.

5. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 10, 2008

I do the rice bottles, read and write the room with sunglasses on, premade blank books things like that.

6. preschoolheart

preschoolheart Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

Post-it notes! When I student taught in kinder the kids all loved post-its. They would write all kinds of messages on them (and post them around the room). Also, pre-folded/made cards (using cardstock) are good- they can use them to make birthday cards, invitations, etc. Even something like fancy pens (Gel pens or thin markers, or just silly novelty pens/pencils) make writing more appealing.

7. prinjess82

prinjess82 Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

bottles?

Thank you so much for the great ideas! Those that mentioned the rice and sand bottles, are the letters and words just printed on paper and placed in there? I guess cardstock is more substantial, just don't want them folding up. Thnanks again.

8. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 10, 2008

You could laminate the cards before you put them in the bottles...this would help make them stronger! But, I'm the laminating queen so it might not be necessary!:) lol

9. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Aug 13, 2008

My kids pics and names are on the word wall, and they love to write each others names and then use them in sentences (basic at first...I see so and so). We do white boards from day 2, and they LOVE them, it never gets old. I do play do in writing center early on (making letters etc), making class books, pens (when they seem responsible), etc. Sometimes fun erasers make it more interesting!