writer's workshop

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Guest, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 4, 2003

I'm looking for ideas on how to handle conferencing. I'm alone in the classroom and can't seem to both support their writing and confernce. Any ideas?
    Diane

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 4, 2003

get them to the point where they can be autonomous... my cooperating teacher has an "idea can" where they can get ideas for a story if they're stuck, and a checklist for each story (write, edit myself, read to 2 friends, etc)... plus they move their tag on the chalkboard when they move to a new step... teach them that questions that are not life-threatening need to wait until you are not busy... always be facing the class, even when conferencing, and don't be afraid to ask the student you're with the wait a second while you correct behavior of kids who are not on-task... we send kids to a different spot in the room if they can't work where they're at.

does that help? :)

4. in the loop

in the loop Rookie

Feb 9, 2003

I spent a lot of time at the beginning of the year reinforcing proper workshop behavior before I actually started conferencing during this time. If I have to interupt a student's conference to answer a non-emergency question or to redirect a student who is not working they know that they will have their behavior color changed. I always ask the interupter "would you want your conference interupted for this" They are suprisingly respectful of their classmate's time with me.

One thing that has worked very well in my class was working together to make a rubric of what was expected at workshop time. I divided a piece of chart paper into three sections and labeled them with a smiley face, a straight face and a frown. Together we brainstormed what would be expected for each level. Some of the things under smiley are...didn't get up more that 2 times (they can get up for materials or water), followed the writer's checklist, noise level didn't interupt others,etc. I try to monitor as I conference and periodically I have them draw which face they think they earned that day on a sticky note and then I draw what face I think they earned. They all want a smiley from me and work very hard for it.

Good Luck!

5. charli

charli Guest

Feb 10, 2003

This is what I do in first grade:
    1. We make a list of all possible topics they could write about.
    2. I do several mini lessons on what writing workshop looks like.
    3. We make a list of rules and go over them daily the first month and also whenever someone forgets. They know they cannot interrupt me. If they get stuck on a piece or a word, they start on another piece.
    4. Model good writing everyday! Show them how to stretch words out and circle words they arent sure about.
    5. The first couple weeks will be a little hectic, but they get better if you stick to your rules. Make them accountable, by having a check time at the end of the writing time to see if they did anything.

I am able to conference with everyone at least once a week and sometimes twice, depending on the students needs. I have a notebook with a checklist and I keep the dates I conference with each student and I can see how many times I've met with each one. Just remember that students do what they are told and shown, so model, model, model!
    Good Luck!