Writers Workshop

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by hanvan, Jul 12, 2005.

1. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2005

I have been trying to do writers workshop in my 1st grade classroom. I have been reading more about it this summer. I understand the format
    mini lesson
    independent writing
    conferences
    sharing

I just have a hard time with the kids being all over the place! Has anyone else found this to be a problem? I also have a hard time with conferences. The same kids NEED me every single day. I could do a sign up sheet but didn;t last year. I was just wondering if other teachers had some of the same problems and maybe a solution.

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 12, 2005

When I student taught in 2nd, they used Writer's Workshop, and the kids all had a magnet on the board with their name under the step they were working on (writing, peer edit, etc)... and the teacher went in order to call the kids for conferences (earliest kids first)... they knew that if they were ready to conference on one piece but the teacher wasn't ready, they could go ahead and start a 2nd piece... it worked pretty well, but I'm sure they had been trained well before I got there. ;)

4. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2005

Thats a good idea. I heard about that somewhere ???? and plan to make a poster and use clips. I want the kids to move their clips by themselves. Talk about model model model

5. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Jul 12, 2005

I found an excellent website that explains writer's workshop. Here is the link:
    http://www.teachersfirst.com/lessons/writers/writer-refs.html

I started writer's workshop last year too and had huge problems with the students being spread out anywhere and everywhere. I think it was b/c I am a new teacher and did not model properly. I am going to try it again this year with more procedures and expectations.
    With conferencing I met with four students a day and walked around working with other students if I had enough time. I had a day for each person to share- like four a day. The four to share were the same
    four I conferenced with.
    I have a lot of ESL students in my class and writer's workshop helped them tremendously- they loved it and did a great job!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2005

What an awesome site!! Thank you.