Writer's Workshop v. 6+1 Traits....Please help!

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by linzteach, Aug 4, 2007.

1. linzteach

linzteach Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

I need some advice..... In my fourth grade clas this year I will be using 6+1 Traits to teach writing (must by administration). I have been researching 6+1 Traits and felt pretty good about it - I was planning on working on one trait every 2-3 weeks and then focusing on the next, until we can incorporate all of them into student writing. However, then I started reading about Writer's Workshop.

Here are my questions.....can you do both "programs" at the same time? If so, how can you set it up? Do you spend the first couple of weeks explaining the writing process and then move on to the traits? How long would you give kids to get through the entire writing process? Do they have to finish one piece before starting the next?

I don't know why I can't figure this out.....maybe I've been thinking about it too long. Any advice/suggestions you have will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Lindsay

3. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

Yes, you can definitely do both programs. Teaching the 6+1 traits will be your mini-lessons, and you can also use guided or shared writing to show what the traits look like. I was required to use 6+1 traits when I taught middle school, but we still used a Writer's Workshop approach with students going through the writing process, conferencing, etc.

I would start out by teaching procedures for Writer's Workshop, the writing process, and the rubric for 6+1 Traits. My students learned about the writing process as we went along. I didn't really teach each step in isolation. Then, once you are ready to get started, you can use the 6+1 Traits as the basis for your mini-lessons. You can assign writing pieces of varying lengths depending on what trait you are studying.

I have been lucky to not be "required" to use any one program in the past 4 years while I have been teaching 4th grade. Even though our school doesn't use 6+1, I have used the ideas of that program a lot in my writing instruction, along with Writer's Workshop.

4. linzteach

linzteach Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

Thank you....that is very helpful!

5. newkteacher

newkteacher Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

I will be teaching 6th grade and I want to use writer's wrokshop. i have to teach a 5 paragraph essay to my class(required). Can I do this as the minilessons?

6. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

In my district, we are encouraged to do both. It works out pretty well, as you can use one of the traits as the basis for a mini lesson for writer's workshop.

7. TXteacher

TXteacher New Member

Aug 8, 2007

There is a book called Before the Test written by a teacher in Texas. It helped me SOOO much. It's not really about a test, but how to teach writing since our 4th graders in Texas take a state test in 4th grade in writing.