Writers workshop help

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by nibys, Jan 4, 2011.

1. nibys

nibys Rookie

Jan 4, 2011

I teach resource English 12. I decided that I wanted to create persuasive, narrative, etc, writing units. I was wondering if anyone could share how they structure their writing workshop, or writing units? Thanks

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2011

I use a modified writing workshop in my classroom. During writing time, we begin with some mini lesson that I noticed is needed by my students (currently it is focused on word choice and figurative language). Then my students have time to write.

I usually introduce a writing piece to my students (genre wise but they have choice of topic). Then we work on a graphic organizer (which I model). Then the students work on drafting, revising, conferencing, editing, and publishing through multiple drafts (a student may complete a stage multiple times). I continue to use mini lessons throughout this process.

When most of my class seems to have moved onto publishing or is getting very close...I move onto the next writing piece with my students. The students may have multiple pieces to work on but then they are never waiting for a conference or help!

4. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jan 12, 2011

How much time do you spend on writing daily?

5. Nate

Nate Companion

Jan 20, 2011

I always start each new genre unit with a dissection of a lot of pieces in the genre--we read several persuasive essays before we write one. This helps cement the abstract forms before they start writing.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2011

I spend about 30 minutes writing M-Th! I wish it were more though. Some students write on Fridays, some have assessments that take the entire block.