Writers Workshop- Do you let kids work together on a story?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Peachyness, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2007

I have this one VERY low student who hates school BUT I've somehow gotten her excieted about writing. She started WW, of course, with nothing to write about. I had them bring in memory boxes, and somethng in her memory box sparked an idea for a story. It was about a time she saw a rabbit with horns in the mountains. She wrote a couple of sentences. Next day, she shared her story with the class and we offered some suggestions on how to make it better. Next day, she asked if she and another student could work on the story together. I said that would be fine. They wrote another page on this story and began doing illustrations today. Also, today, I had two more groups of girls work together on a story.

In my opinion, if they're writing, then I think it's fine if they work together. But, since I'm so new at this, I don't know. I've read one book on WW and I don't remember it saying anything about writing stories with another student. What do you guys think? Is this okay? I just want to make sure I'm doing WW how it's supposed me be done.

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2007

Whoops!!! I meant to post this in the fifth grade forum! Drats. Oh well....

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 31, 2007

I moved it for you.

Anyway, about partner writing. You're right, it doesn't really mention it in WW books. But it does talk about feedback from other students. So, why don't you gear it more toward specific times when students pair up to share and suggest?

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2007

Right. I thought about that. I plan to put up a chart like Beth Newingham did where they move their picture to indicate their writing process status. One will be where they are meeting with a peer.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2007

It may not be something you want to do all of the time--you do need to be able to determine what they are able to do on their own, but I think it's a fabulous idea to use sometimes. When I had a homeroom, and now in the Resource Room, I have the students do a partner or group story at least once a term.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2007

Okay. Thanks for the input. I will talk to them on Tuesday about when it's appropriate to work together. Just needed some feedback on this.

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 1, 2007

We technically haven't entered the realm of "Writer's Workshop" yet, but maybe it's because some cannot even write a paragraph and I am still relaying expectations. Also, I have a good number of students who are against writing, though I have a great passion for it and it's my favorite subject to teach. It's going to take a little while to get their interest going!

The memory boxes sounded neat.... my students developed a list in the first week called an "Inspiration Bank".

I have let them work together... once, yesterday. They were writing about what they would do on their perfect day. They worked on planning together. It was a good time, though the few students who are not into writing so much weren't as focused as I would have liked them to be. They maybe about finished 50 percent of their planner, which was ok. for 30 minutes for their very first time.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2007

I noticed that once I started having them come up and share their writing, participation rose dramatically! I'm very excited about how WW is going since this is my first year really implementing it. I did a simple variation for kinder.

I also had them make a list, but I called it their Seed List.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 1, 2007

Do you have an Elmo or Smartboard? We do ours with the Elmo so the kid's writings really come alive. Then they have to read and explain.

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 2, 2007

I am going to be doing "open mike" at the front of the room. I really think that'll start motivating them soon. I will do it the first week of every month... I am not sure about THIS week, though... maybe Friday, we'll see.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2007

Another thing I have done is have the students work through the prewriting stage together--discussing ideas and completing planning sheets, then work individually on their pieces.

13. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 2, 2007

Starting writer's workshop

peachy (or anyone else),

would you tell me how you run writer's workshop in your class? I'm having trouble getting it started.

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 2, 2007

I have a calendar at http://teachingvision.org/readingwriting - though it has started slowly and I think I need to model the types of writing before I expect them to do the appropriate work. I may go through a few examples of expository for my students and then have them come up with their own expository topic.

15. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 3, 2007

I love the "open mike" idea!!! In 5th, I have done a board room discussion where everyone sits around the table. They love the grown up ideas...and an open mike fits right in!! Now, I need to find one of those Mr. Microphones....:D