Writers Workshop - Conferencing

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SCTeacher23, Oct 14, 2015.

1. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Oct 14, 2015

I've been attending my first ever series of Writers Workshop professional development sessions! For conferencing - how often are you supposed to/do you end up doing this? Do you conference with students everyday?

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Oct 14, 2015

I conference with students about 1-2 times a week for writing workshop. Just like with reading conferences, it doesn't have to be long. For writing conferences, I usually sit down and watch them write a bit while I check over my notes, touch base on their goal, then offer a short teaching point. We might work together another minute or so then I wrap it up with recapping their goal and I go to the next child.

4. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Oct 15, 2015

How many kids do you get through each day? Should I be spending the whole independent writing portion conferencing with students? Or should I be circulating for part of the time and conferencing for part of the time? Or only be conferencing some days?

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Oct 15, 2015

It varies for me, but I usually get through all the kids by the end of the week and my struggling writers more often. I usually have 3-5 mini lessons per week- short (# of minutes of students' ages) and the rest of the time is writing. They need to have extended time immersed in writing! I save some time for emergency conferences too- things come up.

Do what works for you! How many kids do you have? How much time do you have allotted for writing?

I usually had 45 minutes, so I might do:
    10 min- mini lesson (time for transition built in)
    30 min- writing (3-4 students- 3-5 minute conferences)
    5 min- gather and share

Days with no mini lesson
    5 min- discuss plan with partner (way to check in and make sure they have a goal)
    30-35 min- writing
    5-10 min- gather and share (would do extended shares these days, almost like a mini lesson with things I thought were great examples)

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2015

I do conferences every day, but I get through only 4, maybe 5 a day. Sometimes fewer if I am really working a student on developing a certain area. I have heard before that conferences are short, and sometimes for me they are (especially if I am just doing a check-in), but realistically my conferences can be longer when I see a particular need to work on a certain area and I am trying to provide additional support.

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 31, 2015

This is just something I have not mastered at all. I have a really hard time keeping writing conferences short. I do much better with reading conferences. I think this year I really want to start pulling strategy groups more. A lot of times, a group of kids needs to work on the same thing, and I just have two many kids to realistically meet all their needs through 1:1 conferences. With 28 students, I'm lucky if I can meet with all of them once every two weeks. I think a combination of strategy groups and 1:1 conferences will allow me to meet more of their needs.

TamiJ likes this.
  8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 5, 2015

I do not use writer's workshop, but I conference with students about their writing 1-2 times a week for about 3 minutes.