Writer's workshop and test scores..

Discussion in 'General Education' started by **Mrs.A**, Jul 2, 2009.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

Yes, I have yet another ww question... I'm curious about test scores. Did you find that your test scores improved or did they go down when you started ww in the classroom?

A teacher posted something on another board about her test scores going down when she started ww in her classroom. Other teachers that responded to her had the same experience. That kind of busted my bubble and makes me wonder if ww works with standardized testing. I want to improve my student's scores, not see them go down. :unsure:

3. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

Our states scores haven't been released yet. But on district benchmarks, my students' scores increased. One of my resource students had a lot of difficulty understanding the writing workshop lessons and often just copied my examples. It took all year, but he passed the last benchmark!
    A veteran teacher who just began the program last year told me that at the beginning of the year most of her students were basic on the district benchmarks. At the 3rd trimester benchmarks most of her students were scoring advanced. She credited it to the Units of Study.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

The school I tutored at this year saw their scores increase when teachers did writer's workshop.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

We find that the NJ standardized test are looking more for a formulaic, must-have-these-components, 'standardized' (of course) type of writing. They are not necessarily looking for creativity or beautiful language or vivid vocab- they are awarding or deducting points based on a very specific checklist. So in my school, we teach 'NJ ASK writing' as part of test prep- it's very different than 'Writers Workshop' writing. :eek::(