Writer's Workshop Advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hollydoris, Nov 17, 2013.

1. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Nov 17, 2013

Hello! I have just recently implemented a writer's workshop format into my classroom. The kids are really liking it so far.

One problem I'm running into is that I feel like I'm always flying by the seat of my pants. I kind of just decide the writing projects and mini lessons at random, and I feel like I don't have enough structure to what I'm teaching and why. I'm having a hard time finding a curriculum guide that has suggestions for mini lessons, projects, and timelines for teaching specific skills. Any suggestions?

3. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Nov 19, 2013

We had the same problem. It was solved by moving to a class project approach. In my fourth grade class we were reading By the Shores of Silver Lake and our goal became to write something that seemed like it could fit into the book.

We studied the author's vocabulary, sentences, and conventions, then tried to write 100 words that sounded just like the author wrote them. The results were stunning!

We now do the same thing with non-fiction. Right now we are reading persuasive essays and trying to figure out how the authors are able to get their points across so well. Then we'll write our own essays based on what we learned from reading good essays.

Got this from THIS BOOK.

4. mrsenglish

mrsenglish Rookie

Nov 19, 2013

I teach high school, but what I did was approach it from a more specific genre: personal narratives, suspenseful narratives, etc. Then I broke down by skills that I would assess and created mini lessons around that.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2013

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013

Are you following the writing process?

7. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Dec 3, 2013

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it! I will be looking into those resources asap.

And yes to the above ^^--the writing process has been drilled into them since day one. They are very good at following it.

8. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2013

How about using Lucy Calkins writing curriculum? Her book has many ideas for writing minilessons.