writer's noetbook vs. writer's folder

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by love2teach, Jul 27, 2008.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2008

I went to a workshop this spring where they talked about having writers notebooks. I have never used one, always a writers folder. The kids decorate them, keep all of their writing inside, but I clean out after each unit.
    I am just not sure how a notebook would work for such little kids.

Does anyone NOT have a writer's notebook??? Does anyone have a folder instead?
    P.S....we are moving towards bal. literacy in my school....hence the push for a writer's notebook.

3. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I will be trying a writer's folder this year. I have only tried it in 3rd grade. I have never tried a writer's notebook. It really isn't for me. My writer's folders will be made up of a 3-pronged folder with a pocket inserted inside (those dividers with pockets on both sides). One pocket will hold their personal dictionary. The other pockets will be used to store their writing depending on what stage they are on (sloppy copy, needs work, Published). I also have an editing checklist that I made that I will place inside the folder and a list of words all 1st graders need to know. We shall see how this works. It sounds good in my head, but as we all know that doesn't always mean it will work in a real classroom.

4. ms_first123

ms_first123 Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

Notebooks AND Folders

Hi There,

I have the kids keep notebooks in their desk and then I have them keep their "heart of ideas", completed work, and other writing "stuff" in a file folder that's in a crate. Each student has a file in the crate. I did this to reduce the clutter in their desks. The students used to have writing folders in their desks, but they burst with all the writing they did. File folders expand more and are easy to grab for conferences. =)

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2008

I have used both but with first graders I like to use the Writing Folder. First of all, I find it hard for the kids to write in composition notebooks because the lines are so tiny for the most part. With folders, you can customize the paper that you use and it is really helpful. After each unit, the kids go through their folder to find pieces they are done with and bring them home. They keep the ones they love or are still working on so that when they finish writing their new pieces they can go back and work on the ones they want to work on more.

6. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Aug 4, 2008

I always used writer's folders with my first graders. I find it more effective for littles. I have made the mistake of making the folders before the kids came (putting in the word list, editing sheet, etc). They never used them! When I put them in after school starts and talk about them with the kids, they use them much more. Just my 2 cents. We are a balanced literacy campus and I don't think they care what we use for writing as long as they are writing.