Write your Own book kits for kids

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Aliceacc, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2006

I know I've seen this somewhere before; I wonder if anyone can help me.

My 8 year old son sat down last night and wrote yet another story to read for me. Between you and me, it was typical 8 year old stuff, but he's really happy to be writing his own stories. So, while in the shower a few minutes ago, I thought of this:

I know there are companies out there that sell kits. You send them the manuscript and illustrations and they send back a bound hardcover book. They do NOT publish it or attempt to do so. But it is a bound copy of the child's work.

This is the only one I've found in the past 2 minutes: http://homeschooling.about.com/cs/productreviews/gr/mightywriters.htm

Does anyone know of any others or have any experience with this one? I'm open to suggestions for Christmas:D

Thanks!!!

3. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Nov 13, 2006

Alice,
    I know in the past, I have bought hardbound books for the students in my class. They are plainwhite blank hardback books with about twenty pages in them. I can't remember exactly what company I ordered them from, but could search.This might be a suggestion to use, then you can have them on hand. He could illustrate it and write as he goes along. I remember the books also came in different sizes.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2006

Thanks. I found this at Barnes & Noble-- I think it's what I'm looking for:http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780963679604&itm=1

I just ordered 4: 2 for my older kids, 2 for my sister's older 2 kids.

Have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE this whole online shopping thing????? I had an idea in the shower this morning, and just bought 4 Christmas gifts. It was over $25, so shipping was free. What's not to love???

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2006

There's one kit called "Illustory." They sell it at both Target and Toys R Us. It's about $20. My dd got one as a birthday gift last year and it was a huge hit. You can pay a lesser fee to get duplicate copies, too.
    Kim

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom