Wow.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JustMe, Aug 10, 2012.

1. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Aug 11, 2012

With spelling and grammar checkers in computer programs today, I don't understand why some people still put out papers with errors. I am an English teacher who proofreads my own pieces three or four times before printing; I feel it would look unprofessional if I put out a piece with grammar or spelling errors. We should all be aware of our strengths and weaknesses; if writing isn't your strength, I think you should ask someone to proofread a piece before publishing. I do it for a few of my colleagues who are always appreciative when I catch their errors.

2. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2012

I think as teachers we notice those thing immediately.

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2012

I just finished my welcome back letter as union president, and of course after I got done printing them all, I found a typo (I wrote teacher's instead of teachers'). Pretty minor but I always feel like people are hawking over me for grammar mistakes because I teach English, and then they LOVE to throw it back in my face. The one from last year's president, a science teacher, was much worse, but I bet no one said anything about hers.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 11, 2012

Well, if not the secretary then anyone could be asked to look over something to get a 2nd opinion on how something looks. Unless the principal is oblivious to his own poor writing skills?

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2012

In my purse, waiting to be mailed, are two thank you letters to Disney for the assistance we received from the Beach Club.

Last night, since Peter isn't around, I asked someone here to proofread for typos. I wanted to be taken seriously, and a typo or two is probably the easiest way to prevent that from happening.

And this was in a letter complimenting the staff of a resort, not a letter being sent to students or their parents.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 11, 2012

Hmm, not a good first impression to all the new parents. Those who are used to it know how he is, I guess.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 11, 2012

I agree, I think everyone should have someone look over anything that is being sent home. I always ask another teacher to look over things we send home and the DC usually has at least 2 of us look at "official" kindergarten paperwork. We also pass around report cards to check comments and that the number of areas of improvement matches the grade given.

8. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 11, 2012

It's actually a myth that you can never end with a preposition. :) See here: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/ending-prepositions.aspx

9. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 11, 2012

Thank you for the link. :)

It was interesting reading; however, I still attempt to not end a sentence with most prepositions, even if, as the author pointed out, it might sound pedantic.

Of course, in the case of phrasal verbs (I learned what they're called thanks to your link! :) ), such as "Would you cheer up?" then yes...that makes sense. I never said to NEVER end with a preposition.

"Up, would you cheer?" ;)

Let's not even get into why

"Slow up" and "Slow down" both mean the same thing! ;)

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 11, 2012

The rules are also - appropriately - different for informal speaking and for writing. (I type this as someone who had to acquire Playground English as a second language. Let's just say that life wasn't fun till I learned to use contractions at school.)

11. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 11, 2012

I just edited our Teacher of the Year's bio and it was chilling. Reading and writing isn't valued anymore.

12. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Aug 11, 2012

Shows you that just because you got into college and graduated doesn't mean you can write properly. I used to proofread papers in college when I was asked and some of the writing was incomprehensible. I don't even know how they got into college. I'm a bit of a stickler on grammar but only when it comes to formal writing unless the error is egregious. Otherwise, I'm very informal in emails, forums, etc. and don't really pay attention to grammar that much, including my own. What really annoys me though is when people write alot as one word, ugh.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 12, 2012

This really bothers me when the mistake is made by an English teacher!

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 12, 2012

I guess not. I've seen this mistake three times this morning.

15. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 12, 2012

Principal/principle and kindergarden bother me. I don't mind it do much in the general public, but teachers really should know the difference.

One of the funniest mistakes I've seen recently was at a nice hotel, under massages they had "distressing ritual".