WOW WOW WOW

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by DrivingPigeon, Sep 3, 2010.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 3, 2010

I am so glad it's a 3 day weekend!

I had to yell today. :( Clean-up time was a nightmare...Two kids were crying (hitting one-another), they were fighting over putting toys away, yelling at one-another...YIKES!

I had to move 2 children because they were being crazy at their tables and not listening. One child yelled in another child's face. I have been modeling, modeling, modeling every single little procedure multiple times, and then as soon as I let them go, they don't know what's going on. I gave them spots on the carpet, and every time they go to the carpet they sit in a different spot! They each have their own square that contains a picture, but they keep forgetting where to go! Some of them are going to different spots because they don't like the picture on their spot. :dizzy:

Kindergarten at the beginning of the year is not my cup of tea! I just needed to rant...

On a positive note, I have been getting many hugs, and they keep telling me they love school. :)

3. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Sep 3, 2010

I feel your pain! I love kindergarten, but I hate September. Someone told me once that they felt that K teachers should get paid doubled for the month of September. My first few days were horrible, the worst start that I have had in years. Yesterday and today (day 7 and 8), however, were so much better! I actually felt like I had a class and not a zoo. I am sure things will get better for you too. Hang in there and enjoy the long weekend!

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2010

:hug: It will get better.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 3, 2010

OMG my class WOW
    They are all cute as buttons but don't have a clue about how school works.

6. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 3, 2010

That sounds like my class. The second day of school a little boy gave me the bird, while I was doing the morning message. He just looked at me smiling. Lol. I hate September in kindergarten too, but I do like the hugs.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 3, 2010

My friend has a student who does this on a daily basis. We think that sometimes he is not aware that he is doing it b/c sometimes he would be running in the field by himself and all of a sudden he will flip the bird or he would drop his pencil while working, flip the bird, and then pick up his pencil and begin working again. He will also constantly do this when he is upset or when he is trying to get a reaction from us, so now with big smiles on our faces we just tell him "Oh, thank you ________! I know that I'm number 1." :p Now he is beginning to make the shape of a zero with his fingers when he is upset and he tells us that we are number zero.:lol:

8. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Sep 3, 2010

LOL that was a good laugh Proud2BATeacher, imma remember to say that if I ever get the bird. Since we are venting here ... here goes mine.

This was my 1st full week Teaching! Woohoo! The week was smooth all the way through until today...

Surprise parties that I didnt know about, several parent conferences, phone calls, surprise visits, one crying friend, few arguments, all while trying to make sub plans, lesson plan, newsletter.... today felt like my true first day because I was all over the place. The P said I handled everything well and I'm truly greatful for all the support that i recieve in school from co-teachers, social worker, treasurer I can truly say we are a family!

But I believe i sprouted one more grey hair as a result, lol!

9. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 3, 2010

:lol: That is too funny.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 4, 2010

Something really interesting, too, is that our district started 4K this past year. About 3/4 of my class comes from 4K. All of the classes are held at and overseen by daycares, so none of us really know what goes on in a 4K classroom. We had a meeting last year with all of the teachers, and the entire hour was them talking about all of the great toys they have (paid for by the district, but when I started I received $250 to fill a classroom :D).

Anyway, everyone who is not a K teacher keeps saying, "Oh, I bet the kids will behave so much better, and know so much more because of 4K!" Us K teachers have been just rolling our eyes, because we KNEW that 4K wouldn't make a huge difference, because all they do is play! So, one would think they could play well together at least, but judging on my class's behavior yesterday that isn't even true.

AND 4K taught them to write their name in all capital letters. Usually I have a few kids to break that habit with, but this year I have about 17! :dizzy: Thanks, 4K!

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 4, 2010

It is developmentally appropriate for them to be playing most of the day in 4K and also developmentally appropriate for them to still be writing in all capital letters. Start switching them over around Christmas time. You really are lucky. Most of my students this year don't even recognize their names never mind be able to write their names.
    It does sound that the 4K teachers didn't teach about community and didn't teach social skills. You probably should focus on those for the next week or so. :hugs: Good luck. You can turn this class around even if it doesn't seem like it right now.

12. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Sep 4, 2010

Yes - the first few weeks of K are EXHAUSTING. I wasn't as affected this time because I knew what to expect. Last year (my first in K) was a nightmare - I hadn't a clue. :)

13. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2010

I hear you. It's exhausting. In the middle of the 2nd day I said to my assistant, "Please tell me it's like this every year." She said, "It is." So at least there's hope, right, that we can pull it all together.

My students have assigned spots on our rug, too. Most of them learned them pretty quickly. We practice. I assign their spots, they sit on them. I tell them to look at who is in front, behind, on either side. Then I tell them to find another way to remember (counting to squares back, noticing you are right in front of the stool, etc.). Then we practice. We all get up and walk around and then they have to find their spots. There are always a few who don't remember but often other students can help. I keep my chart handy and for the first few days every time we sit down I just read row by row and check and praise them.

HOWEVER, I had to slightly rearrange my room on day 5, turned my rug, and had to assign all new spots. I felt so bad and I knew I was going to confuse them. I explained it to them, though (the reason I turned the rug and the fact that they might be confused) and they actually got it very quickly. Of course, we'll see what a 3-day weekend does to their memories.

14. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Sep 4, 2010

Be vocal to your district administrators about what you have seen with 4K. We have had public preschool for 6 years and we really didn't see a big difference academically until about year 3. We kept telling our principal what we needed improved and eventually they kept tweeking the program until we were happy. Of course our preK is in our building so they are our teachers. Our PreK kids come everyday from 9:00 - 2:00 (K come from 8:00 - 3:00) so the kids come to me used to being in school for a fairly long day. They are used to the buses and the cafeteria and that is certainly helpful, but the lack of academics the first few years was tough. The kids actually came to K with more academic skills before we started PreK becasue many attended private Preschools that were doing alot of academics, but not alot of play. Our school developed a very developmentally appropriate program that focused heavily on play. Thats nice if they are going into a similar type of K program, however, my school is like most, they want their kindergarten program highly academic. Eventually K4 compromised. They started off the year with mainly play and added added more academics after Christmas. It has worked out nicely.

I understand about the money that your 4K rooms got. When we started PreK our 2 new teachers each got $33,000 to spend to buy toys, furniture, rugs, computers, curriculum etc.. It was all free grant money. Very frustrating, but the district got the grant and it could only be spent on K4. The district however, was told that this will be the last year that they will be getting any K4 money because the state is making cuts in funding. If we want to keep K4 the district will have to pay for it with tax dollar money. Apparnetly, there is a very good chance that the program will be dropped because just the salaries of the teachers and aides is well over $100,000. I don't want to see K4 end, however, I know a kindergarten teacher that could use some 6 year old furniture and toys!

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 4, 2010

It's interesting to hear other 4K stories...I think 4K is good, but I think there are some things to tweak for this year.

I agree that they should be learning through play in 4K. I wouldn't want them to be sitting and doing handwriting worksheets or anything! I was looking forward to maybe seeing a difference in social behaviors, but that's not happening yet.

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 4, 2010

Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying DP. Are the 4K teachers trained teachers?

17. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Sep 4, 2010

ugh the writing in capitals kills me, why is that ok? I mean really , if you have to teach kids to write their name, why not teach them the right way!!

sorry that your day was tough! Hoping it gets better

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 4, 2010

They teach them in all capitals because they all start at the top, they are easier to form, they see them more often (road signs, keyboards....).
    Lower case have four or five different places to start, they have two different sizes and they have three different positions. When they are ready children will transition nicely into writing with lower case letters.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  19. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Sep 4, 2010

I teach in a K4-K5 split class. I always start the year with our little letter friends. Yes, it is a bit difficult, but they pick it up fairly quickly. As they are learning their names, I correct on their papers and they rewrite. They learn quickly to check their name tags, and make sure all their little letters are correct so they do not have to redo it. This year is going to be interesting, as I have some students that have no letter recognition at all. We shall see how things progress.

20. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 5, 2010

Yes, they are, but their training varies.

I know that writing in all capital letters is easier at first, but I really don't understand the point. Why teach them to write their name the incorrect way?! It's so difficult for them to write it correctly. Teach them the right way the first time.

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 5, 2010

I teach in all capitals in September. By the time I start teaching lower case (January) most have switched over on their own.

22. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2010

What a charachter! haha!!

23. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2010

My school starts the beginning of August and the cut off date for K here is Dec. 2nd so we have a LOT of 4 year olds for a long time! The first week was incredible! They truely don't know anything! But I am now starting week 5 and we are all in the swing of things. Each day gets better! Whew!:D

24. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 7, 2010

OMG Dec 2nd! I thought Oct 15th was bad. I have a July baby in my room and think she should be in the developmental K but that room is full. :(

25. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Sep 7, 2010

Sorry to hear about your day, but I'm glad mine's not the only kindergarten class kind of like that. I too have been working on procedures and routines..they do ok until after lunch, then they fall apart..I am still trying to figure out how to fully engage them after that..

26. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Oct 10, 2010

It's developmentally appropriate for 4 years. They all start at the top and it's not as confusing. I follow Handwriting Without Tears and their order...we start with letters like D, E, F because they all start with a number one.

Plus, I've read it helps with the b/d confusion.

27. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Oct 10, 2010

Ours is September 1st, but we start the first week of August! :eek:

28. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 11, 2010

Our cut off date is September 30th. I have 6 July babies, 1 August, 4 September, my youngest is more mature than some of the others. My class is needy, chatty and very very young. It is never quiet in my room.

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 11, 2010

Your room sounds like our developmental K. She has 15 students born between July and Oct.