Wow! This book is amazing!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by readingrules12, Jul 12, 2013.

1. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 12, 2013

I don't know if any of you have read the New York Times former bestseller Drive by Daniel H. Pink. This book examines what works and doesn't work when trying to motivate people. It focuses how many of us can be motivated intrinsically without a large emphasis on external rewards much of the time. It does share though when external rewards are most effective and when they are least effective in helping improve performance. I highly recommend this book to any teacher or anyone who deals with students at any age.

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 12, 2013

I haven't read this, but I love Daniel Pink's work.

I have this on a list to consider ... would it be something my high school seniors would read?

4. readingrules12

Jul 12, 2013

I think it would be best for you to read it first. The book is written more for adults, and I am unsure whether high school seniors would want to read it yet.

5. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 12, 2013

I personally don't think it's age-appropriate for high school seniors. While the reading level of the book itself is not much, if any, over their heads, I don't think they'd appreciate the content without having been part of the workforce full-time.

6. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 12, 2013

I have not read the book at all so I could be off base. Is it possible though that they are part of the "work force" by being students?

It sounds like the book is more aimed at teachers, coaches, management, more so than the ones needing the motivation.

Thank you for the recommendation, I will have to look at this book.

7. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jul 12, 2013

I read this book because it is exactly the direction my school is going in with the curriculum and teaching style (proficiency-based). It was difficult for me to take anything in this book seriously because of one of the major assumptions Pink makes: the people he is talking about want to learn. There's a huge difference between an adult who is motivated to learn because he/she sees value in it and a HS student who feels like he/she is being forced to learn. How much you get out of this book depends on how you apply it, I guess. And it is not applicable to your average teenager.

8. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 12, 2013

You are right that the book is most definitely aimed at managers/leaders. I had to read it last fall as part of my principal prep program.

9. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2013

Putting aside the fact that you and I clearly disagree on what the "average teenager" wants to do I see Drive completely differently than you do. I feel it makes it quite clear that we are not using the proper techniques with our students in education.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 12, 2013

I put a request for it at my local library so I can read it for myself. Currently, my favorite new book about education written by a non-teacher is How Children Succeed by Paul Tough. I'd like to compare and contrast.

11. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 12, 2013

Would this book be good for elementary teachers, or is it aimed more toward those working with older students?

12. readingrules12

Jul 13, 2013

I feel it would be best for elementray teachers (1-8), but also useful for high school teachers and principals.

13. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 26, 2013

Readingrules12, thank you for posting about this book. This was a great read. It has made me rethink some practices I have used in the past.